Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm sort of new to this board (I've been lurking) and forgive me if this has been discussed often, but how do I know when to say something about circ?
My Dh and I had sort of decided to circ our son but it was delayed because of our breastfeeding issues (thankfully, totally resolved now!) and re-scheduled for when he was a week old. On the morning of our appointment, both DH and I just didn't "feel right" about it, and decided not to do it even before we did research (thank God we listened to our instincts: why was this the *only* thing I didn't research during pregnancy?!) Anyway, since then I have convinced my SIL and her partner not to circ the two boys they are adopting (ages 1 and 6!), but they are family....what about casual acquaintances? Do I send a link about circ to the brother (expecting a baby boy) of one of my friends, even though I haven't talked to him since his wedding a few years ago? When a pregnant stranger plays with my son in the supermarket, do I just say "Now, let's discuss your plans for the penis of your unborn son, shall we? I have a few thoughts."
:

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
It is really hard deciding to bring up circ or not. I dont talk to many people at all IRL the only person who I have talked to and pg was my cousin and it went pretty well though I think I might have sounded a bit like a nut at times just from my nerves.

The only advice I can give you is follow your heart and if it feels right go for it if not then try to figure out what else you might do instead.

I would definatly send info to family and share info if asked by strangers but I cant see myself going up to a total pg stranger and saying anything. i would look for oportunities to bring it up but odds are good circ wont come up.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
You know how I tend to bring it up? Tellling the 'oh super, you're having a boy - boys are so much easier to change ha-ha. And you know what else, don't circumcise and it's even easier.' Then you can get into the reasons why and hear why the would do it. It's an opening to offer information. Or you can just be my husband 'look, we didn't circ. him, you shouldn't either' or the other day 'I guess you noticed he has the Euro. style penis.' (DH is Irish).

·
Registered
590 Posts
Good for you for trusting your mama bear instinct and leaving your little boy intact, and for talking your SIL out of circ'ing her two boys (wow, she was actually considering taking a 1 yo and 6 yo in for elective circ??)

I am still figuring out the "best" ways to talk to people about circumcision as I am new to inactivism myself - I only started turning against RIC late in my pregnancy with DS after I had researched it!

I find that it is usually not that bad to bring up with family and friends, especially once they mention that they are having a boy or if they actually start talking about circ themselves. With a friend or family member that lives far away, I might send them a note with a few links sharing my views on circ, or in person I may say something like, "When I was pregnant with DS, I wasn't sure about circumcision, but after visiting (website name) it really gave me a lot of things to think about..." and then I might share some of the things that changed my mind about it. I still am not really at ease talking to perfect strangers or acquaintances about it (except on internet chat boards
) but maybe in time...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.