Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking of leaving MI- the state of this state is
:

I am wanting to live in/near MTs and snow- but want an off the grid style living- I am lost- I have no idea where to go.... I want trees, a body of water and a farm-

Where do you live- where is your "off the gird"? and if you could live anyplace would it be the same as you live now?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I live in CO, about a 15 minute drive to entering the mountains. We are looking for land right now for our off-the-grid house. The area we are looking for is between Fort Collins, CO and Cheyenne, WY. A lot of people here go toward Horsetooth Resouviour or way up into the mountains, for off the grid. The winters can be very hard, cold and windy in the mountains here, but the summers are usually not too hot at the higher elevations. On the Front Range, it gets pretty hot, so AC or a very good building design that blocks heat is nice to have. One nice thing about where we want to move is that there is plenty of wind for wind power and over 300 days of good sunshine for solar power. If you have both, the wind can supply energy on the cloudier days, since that is when it seems to be the windiest.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We are in Mexico in the state of Guanajuato, about a 15 minute drive outside of San Miguel de Allende (big ex-pat community, tourist place) We are really high desert, but we do have trees and can garden 10 months a year. Weather is springlike almost all year.

If I were to choose, I would pick a place a bit more tropical, I like more heat and humidity(it is usually in the high 70s here, I like 80s and humid) and a bigger variety of vegetation. My parents had a parcel of land in southern Chile lake district, and it was perfect. Everything so green and lush! Snow capped volcanoes! Everything grows! Great pastureland and mountians! Sure, there was more range of temperatures, but I miss a bit of snow!

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
I live in southern Idaho. Its perfect. I live in a huge agricultural area on the river plain right smack in between the desert and the mountains. There's so much to do around here outdoors. The weather's decent, very cold in the winters and fairly hot in the summer but there are definite seasons.

Since it is such an agricultural area, most of the towns are fairly small. The biggest one within 2 hours has 30,000 people but the smaller ones have around 3000 to 5000.

I've never lived anywhere else so I'm obviously biased but I love it here!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
UTAH!!!

I have lakefront property (ok, I live on a Salt Flat across from the Great Salt Lake
)

There is plenty of cheap, wide open spaces, however if I could choose, I too would pick someplace "more tropical"...
We have plenty of sun and wind, and I love it here, but... yeah, I could use a longer growing season. brrr....

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
UTAH!!!

I have lakefront property (ok, I live on a Salt Flat across from the Great Salt Lake
)

There is plenty of cheap, wide open spaces, however if I could choose, I too would pick someplace "more tropical"...
We have plenty of sun and wind, and I love it here, but... yeah, I could use a longer growing season. brrr....

We are right off the GSL too, unfortunately though, yesterday we had SNOW and its not even October yet. Let's hear it for the idea of a place more tropical!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I fled Utah! That was a very intersting 4 years of my life...

I'm in the central valley foothills of California. We get hot in the summer and cool in the winter. I'd think a dusting of snow will be all we get, although we can drive 30 miles up the road and play in the high sierra snowpack.

Our lot (where our off the grid house will be built) gets plenty of sun and since part of the lot is on a ridge, we could harness the wind - but we aren't sure how reliable that is.

If we could live anywhere - I'd want to live with some snow (a month or two is enough) and with cooler summers (don't care for 30 days over 100 degrees.) Climate wise, I enjoyed Utah - it was the states way of thinking that I could never comprehend. (Plus 5 nice acres in my area of California is cheaper than nice acreage in Utah -- sorry the salt flats don't appeal to me
)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2busy2clean View Post
the salt flats don't appeal to me
)
hahaha much like the GSL, it's a "special" kind of beautiful.

We do have to build raised beds and haul in all of our own dirt for planting... needless to say, very LITTLE of the 80 acres we are on has vegetation on it; nothing but salt grass (if that) will grow in the clay/salt. We make all our water by reverse osmosis, as we have salt water springs (not attached to the GSL) on the property. We love the fact that no one wants to live here... makes for lots of solitude.

would i trade it for half the acreage, better dirt and longer growing season? ooohhhh.... I dunno... tempting, but I'm thinking of putting in a shrimp farm and growing enough algae to make biodiesel. I guess I kind of like the salt flat.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
I guess I kind of like the salt flat.

I think that makes you special.
The salt flats do have a raw beauty which I don't mind appreciating from the air conditioned car.

back to the OP question - I really like upstate New York - if I had family there I'd consider that. But my whole family is west coast, so I'm stuck here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.