Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously looking into homeschooling but after looking at the stickies I have a beginner question....?

Where do you begin? Is there a state (I'm in TX) guide somewhere that tells you what the state expects your child to know at a certain age? I'm trying to go with a relaxed approach...DS won't be 4 until Feb but he doesn't "know" his alphabet yet...I guess I just sit down and tell him about each letter?

Thoughts, experiences, comments?....

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
From this summary of Texas state law
http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/laws/blTX.htm
it looks as though "what the state expects your child to know at a certain age" is pretty much irrelevant. As long as certify that you're teaching him the basic subjects at home, the state has no input into what, when, or how.

Quote:
DS won't be 4 until Feb but he doesn't "know" his alphabet yet...I guess I just sit down and tell him about each letter?
You could if he seems interested, but a lot of people find that three-year-olds just don't have much use for the alphabet. If you want to lay down groundwork for teaching him how to read later on, the best thing to do at this age is read to him a lot. Other than that, 3- and 4-year-olds usually learn the most from playing.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
IMO a good place to start is you reading books on homeschooling. I suggest going to your local library and finding what titles they have on the shelves and go from there. There are many ways to go about homeschooling, so take a little time, familiarize yourself with resources around you, learn about what shape you would like homeschooling to take for your family. The rest will probably flow easily from there. And keep reading posts here!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by saphire View Post
IMO a good place to start is you reading books on homeschooling. I suggest going to your local library and finding what titles they have on the shelves and go from there.
Ooh, but be careful - some pretty poor ones can end up on the shelves. One good list to peruse is this one: books on learning and homeschooling. Once you know about some of the good stuff, you can request that they get it if they don't already have it. Linda Dobson's book, Homeschooling the Early Years, would be a wonderful one - if the library doesn't have it, they should get it.

Your child is awfully young - I don't think there's any state that would expect a child that age to know his letters. There are a lot of articles on this page that talk about what a child that age should be doing, and learning that kind of thing is not what they suggest. Underneath the articles is an annotated list of links to websites that have lots of great ideas for age appropriate activities for little ones. No, I wouldn't sit him down and teach him the letters - he'll be ready for that in a few years, but now he has much more important work to concentrate on, and it's play.
Lillian

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
If you want to teach letters, having a set of fridge magnets of them around is a nice way to start. You just put them up, and one day dc asks "Mommy, what letter is this?" and you answer, maybe even saying "Your name starts with this one." And it seemed to go really easily from there, no need to sit the child down and teach anything until he asks.

I think generally talking to your child about the world around them and doing things like crafts, cooking and nature walks lend themselves to more learning than most people appreciate.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OTMomma View Post
If you want to teach letters, having a set of fridge magnets of them around is a nice way to start. You just put them up, and one day dc asks "Mommy, what letter is this?" and you answer, maybe even saying "Your name starts with this one." And it seemed to go really easily from there, no need to sit the child down and teach anything until he asks.
Funny about those letters - we had them too, but my son never paid any attention to them whatsoever. His little buddy, on the other hand, learned the letters from them by the time he was three. I asked his mom about it and she just muttered self-consciously, "I just think it's nice to get them out of the way" - so I could tell she was doing something other than just leaving them on the refrigerator, but I never could get her to open up about what it was. Anyway, both my son and his friend went on to learn to read in plenty of time to be able to read things that mattered to them when the time came. His friend undoubtedly learned sooner, because he was in public school and my son was in Waldorf, where they don't teach reading till they're in 1st grade. But by the time there was anything substantive to read, they were on a par. My son was a more enthusiastic reader in his teens, though, because reading was not something that was assigned to him - it was just his own pleasure.

Quote:
I think generally talking to your child about the world around them and doing things like crafts, cooking and nature walks lend themselves to more learning than most people appreciate.
Isn't that the truth! They learn so much from all that - they learn about the actual world they're living in, rather than about tools to learn about it from books some day.
Lillian

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
We're working on letters with my 4, almost 5 yo daughter. She just didn't seem to know many letters at all, although, she can write them all....isn't that strange?LOL

So, yesterday, I bought a huge poster with all of the letters and pretty pictures. We're asking her random letters and marking off the ones she knows. So, now she can look at the poster and see which ones she doesn't know and also see that there are many that she does know. Her older brother loves to ask her about the letters and she loves marking off the letters that she gets right. I didn't realize that she thought "Lmnop" was one letter!

As for finding good reading material, I went to Amazon and looked at the reviews of books to decide which ones to buy. Then, I came here and asked and they were all suggested as well.

Good luck
Lisa
Nathan 6
Chloe 4
Adrian 15 mo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.