Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to make a sling out of slightly stretchy woven cotton (like fitted dress shirts are sometimes made of). It seems like it would be ideal for a sling--sturdy, conforming to your body and the babe, but I can't find it anywhere. I saw some at Joann's last year, but didn't snatch it up quick enough. I've also tried Hobby Lobby, Hancocks and Walmart.<br><br>
Help me! TIA!<br><br>
peace, Beth

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Does it have to be 100% cotton? The reason I ask is that the only stretch cotton fabric I can think of off the top of my head is denim with a 3% lycra content. It just has a very slight stretch to it. They do have several weights.<br>
If you want something lighter, you might just have to go browse the fabric store.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Rib knit, knit and interlock all have some stretch, but they might actuallty be a tiny bit too stretchy lol You can usually find some knits on the 1.00 and 2.00 tables at wal-mart, but they may be some funky prints lol

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I really don't want a knit--that would be too stretchy. It should be a tightly woven dress shirt weight cotton/lycra blend (mostly cotton). I shall keep looking...<br><br>
peace, Beth

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Actually, knit makes a very nice sling precisely because it has so much give to it. Since it stretches across the sling, not down, it hugs baby w/o stretching down to your knees. It wears like a comfy old t-shirt, with no pressure points or anything in it. Knit is my fav. for making slings!<br><br>
What you're looking for is generally referred to as poplin. I know fabric.com sometimes has it and my JoAnn's had some as recently as the beginning of the month. It's usually a summer fabric, though, so it might be hard to find right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts