Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is almost a year old, and we have co-slept from day one. In the beginning, it worked beautifully. We all got plenty of sleep and felt good in the morning.<br><br>
Lately though, my son has become a wiggle worm. All night long he flails and kicks and tosses and turns, and although HE is sleeping well, I am not. Some nights, in attempts to keep him still, I latch him on - but then he doesn't want to unlatch at all and screams when the boob is no longer in his mouth. Last night he decided on his own that he wanted to nurse all night and spent over four hours continually latched on. So either way, I'm not getting any sleep.<br><br>
I should also mention that I'm pregnant again, and between the first trimester and the lack of sleep, I'm at the end of my rope.<br><br>
We tried transitioning our son to his own bed. The first few nights, he stayed in his bed until his first waking (around 2 am) and then came back into bed with us. After about four nights, he stayed in his own bed all night for two nights in a row. It was wonderful! I felt well-rested for the first time in months!<br><br>
Now, he wakes every hour when he's in his bed, and will not be comforted back to sleep - nothing but bringing him into our bed will get him sleeping again. It's obvious he wants to be in our bed, but I'm so sleep deprived that I'm grumpy and irritable and emotionally unavailable to him during the day.<br><br>
I am torn on this - keep him in our bed, or keep working to get him into his own bed?<br><br>
Edit: My husband has tried comforting DS at night when he's been in his own bed, and it is disastrous. My son FREAKS OUT that it's Daddy and not Momma coming to get him. I NEED my husband to take on some of the nighttime duties! How do we work this better?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, since nobody had any input on my original post, I'll give a little update.<br><br>
We've totally abandoned the idea of transitioning DS to his own bed. He has made it obvious that he's not ready for it, and quite frankly, neither are we. I AM ready for a good night's sleep, though!<br><br>
We decided to buy a twin bed to lay beside our own so there's a lot more room in the bed and everyone can sleep comfortably. Hopefully it will be the solution we need.<br><br>
In the meantime, we're still working on DH being able to comfort DS at least once during the night, so that I'm not solely responsible for nighttime parenting and can get a little more sleep.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I moved my 1st to her own room when my 2nd was a baby. I was SO sleep deprived, but mine are 27 months apart. The exhaustion was killing me. So I feel your pain!<br><br>
What we did was have my husband take over nighttime duties for my older daughter. I had the baby, so mommy just wasn't an option for her. She was pissed at first, but she got used to it. If daddy is what he gets, he'll adjust. He's being comforted by a loving parent, just not the one he wants. If it were me (having been pregnant/newly postpartum and exhausted myself), I'd take a "hard line" with the night time comfort thing. After a few nights he'll get used to it. Now, when my daughter wakes up at night, she calls for daddy. She is older, though, maybe it won't work at his age. You could do a 3-night trial or something, see if it gets any easier and if not, try something else?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts