Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!<br><br>
I have 4 children, ages 15 months, 2, 5 and 7. My 5 yr old is in kindergarten, and is very social, and learns well with hands-on activities. She does not do well in a sit-and-learn environment, and is dreading Gr.1 as she knows it's mostly sit in a desk learning, and there will be no more centers/circle time like she currently has. My 7 yr old is in Gr.2, and is very smart, and ahead of his class in reading, writing, math and science. He is doing fine in school, although he does get frustrated sometimes with having to just sit and be quiet most of the day. If anything I think his class may be holding him back, and there are many things he'd like to learn about that he can't at school. Most of the time when I pick him up at the end of the day he is tired and in a horrible mood. I also can't stand wasting 1.5 hrs a day running back and forth to the school for pick ups and drop offs, and I hate that I have no control over what the kids are learning and how long they're away everyday. I already feel like I'm losing touch, and I hate that when I ask my kids what they did at school the answer is always "I don't know" or "nothing". So, I'm debating home schooling and have been for quite sometime. The problem is, there's so much information out there that I don't know where to even start!!<br><br>
I know that our regulations here (AB, Canada) require a public school to supervise your hsing, and for a teacher to check in 2 times a year to make sure your children are on track. And I know that I'm allowed to go with whatever curriculum I choose, as long as the school supervising us believes are children are learning what they need to.<br><br>
I've found a few hs supply stores and have browsed their sites. The problem I'm having, is how do you decide what books/curriculums to go with? I'm a very organized person, and for myself I would like a curriculum where they cover all the subjects, and where I could purchase a kit of say Gr.3 science, social, math, reading/writing, etc. Then choose supplemental books/projects later on if my children would like to learn more about certain topics/subjects. Does anyone have any suggestions of programs/websites where I could find kits such as this? I know that learning is not a one size fits all for each child, but for the first year where I'm figuring out how to go about this I think it would be very helpful, just to know I'm teaching them the right subjects at the right level.<br><br>
I have found a couple of hs yahoo groups for AB, but they only let you join if you're already a hs'er or have for sure decided to hs the following year so that's not very helpful for me right now.<br><br>
Any tips/information/websites you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm in Alberta, too. As far as curriculum goes, we use Sonlight with a bunch of other stuff thrown in. If you register with certain boards (ie. School of Hope) as fully aligned they will send you a full provincial curriculum package.<br><br>
As far as yahoo groups go, edmonton-hs allows anyone to join. There are many homeschoolers with preschoolers on the list who are just gathering info. There is also an Edmonton Meet-up group with all ages.<br>
You can also check out <a href="http://www.shine-hs.com" target="_blank">www.shine-hs.com</a> There is lots of info on their website.<br><br>
I realize you may not be near Edmonton, but I have met many people who are interested in homeschooling and they are always welcome in the groups. Hopefully you can find a welcoming group near you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts