Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my first kiddo, 7 months now, and since she's getting a very strong mind of her own I'm having to start thinking about discipline.

My parents were Ezzo all the way... but looking back, what I remember of spankings is only my desperate attempts to get out of them or get as many layers of underwear and pants on as possible before mom got into the bedroom. I don't remember anything I was supposed to have been punished for.

But the ones I do remember, and which I learned from, were "let the punishment fit the crime" things. Like when I threw a fit over cleaning the bathroom and did a shoddy job, my mom smeared peanut butter on the sink and informed me that if I couldn't do it right the first time I would have to do it over. oh, and of course, I could come out of the bathroom when it was clean.

So I'm looking at GD-- new concept to me. I can't afford a lot right now book-wise, and am fairly strapped for time until I graduate college in a month.

Where do I even start? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
: Glad to hear you're researching GD. I don't know if you've checked out the booklist on MDC yet but here's the link - http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=115037

You might be able to find some books at the library or maybe even find an MDC mama in your area that could loan you some books?

I am fairly new to this board but have found a lot of resources just reading previous threads. I'm sure some other mamas will be able to point you in the direction of some useful threads for "getting started."

Personally, I think a lot of it is about attitude - treat kids with respect and love. And of course, I am still exploring GD "techniques." I am going to read "Raising your Spririted Child" when I can get a copy. I've heard wonderful things about it and my toddler has always been independent-minded.

Best wishes for your journey - and
CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming graduation!

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
autumn~i found some really good advice on the dr. sears website and his books. he and his wife have like 8 children and have co-slept, bf, gd all of them....there's also a great website about attachment parenting, its attachment parenting united...you can google attachment parenting and find some pretty good info.

i have an almost 3 yr old and just turned 1yr old. we have practiced ap and gd right from the start and im proud of my well balanced, loving girls...don't get me wrong....they still act like monkeys sometimes :LOL but its all a journey and a learning experience for all of us! plus it helps to have a very supportive partner or family....

hope you find the info your seeking....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know if this would help but I have found some of the older books from the book list like "How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk" and "Parent Effectiveness Training (PET)" at my local thrift store for a quarter each. The disadvantage is you are usually not getting the newest version of the book.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Just wanted to add that I am also a big fan of Dr. Sears. Here's the link to his website. www.askdrsears.com which I have bookmarked on my computer.

We also have "The Discipline Book" by Dr. Sears. And of course, his wife, Martha Sears is an RN and contributes to all his books.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts