Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I'm playing the game "Where's Waldo", but my question is Where's AF?, it has been 13 weeks since my Katrina went to heaven...I am so hoping for AF, so I can feel "normal" and move on...I feel like I cant move on until I have myself back...we were told by our Dr not to TTC until six months have passed since DD was SB. I dont want to even start counting until I am back to normal, normal being when AF returns...I cant even remember when AF returned after our first, maybe after a birth, 3 months is not a long time...but with our first we were BF, but thats obviously not the case this time...I feel obsessive this time, feeling every twinge and checking every time I use the bathroom...once AF returns I feel like I should be safe...figuring my body is back to normal, so I can start tracking my cycles and best figure out the time to TTC, we want get pg as soon as possible, we are so desperate for another baby, to complete our family...i dont feel like i am overly stressed about the return of dear AF...but i want to make sure that my body is doing what its supposed to for a prescribed amount of time before i put it through the rigors of growing another baby...to give a little history, dd was sb at 37 1/2 weeks, basically full term...how long to wait before ttc, does that time include or start when AF returns...doc said the 6 months waiting time was for my stomach and back muscles to return to their full strength to support another pregnancy...did that mean that that AF should return shortly after the birth and that six months was the max time to wait thinking everything was normal...last time i saw dr and she did a full exam, she said everything looked "normal" and the twinges i had experienced at that point was ovulation and I looked like at that time that i was gonna start within 3-5 days, that was at least 3 weeks ago...my pap from that appt returned normal...so i dont know what to think right now...when Sept arrives do we start to TTC or should i have had AF for that whole time so thats what would have made it TTC...my huge concern here is that with the last outcome, I want to be absolutely sure that I am doing and have done everything possible to ensure the desired outcome this time...the reason i want AF to return and be normal prior to TTC is that we dont know what happened necessarily last time and want to start with a "clean slate" so to speak...if anyone can understand, I would love to hear...thank you for listening....
allykat (mama to Allyson on earth 9/18/98 Katrina in heaven 3/24/05

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just an update...no AF yet, and its been 16 weeks, the dr drew blood and im waiting on the results...she is checking on my hormone levels and also a test to detect where my cycle is stuck at...the waiting is so hard

·
Registered
174 Posts
allykat,

It has only been 6 weeks for me, but I am also needing AF to appear and tell me that my body is back to normal. I feel all out of "whack" like I'm 13 and going through puberty again. Anyways, I am so sorry that you have had to wait this long... what is the latest?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
What I would like to know is, for those with SB, when did you get your cycles back? I had PP flow & it ebbed & flowed. Now I am flowing heavier, almost like a light period. But I never had a true break from bleeding but, this is different. Is it a period or PP flow? I have no idea!! . What makes it confusing is I do not know what to expect. I think about posting on a mainstream board and asking Mamas that do not breastfeed on what it was like for them. I have always nursed after having a baby, so I have nothing true to compare it to. KWIM???
Anyway,I too want to get back to "normal". I want to start charting so I can work on getting PG at the 6 month mark.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I had lochia for 6-8w postpartum, and then after maybe a week or so with spotting/nothing, I had a period. It was very heavy, compared to a regular period. But after that, I had 3w with no bleeding.

We were ttc immediately (dd was s/b at 41 1/2w) but I did not concieve until that August, which would have been exactly 5 months... not for lack of trying! We weren't charting temps because we were stressed out with the loss, a layoff, and moving back to Seattle from the city we were in at the time. That and I can never get up at the same time very morning *sigh*

Prior to dd, my cycles were 28-29d, and O was around day13-14. After dd, my cycles were 24-26d (almost too short to ttc) and so we were missing my O. August was the 1st month we tried earlier, on cd11. We nailed it that time!

FWIW I got AF back at 14m PP with ds, and my periods started off about 24-25d apart, stretching out to 28-29d apart when we concieved this baby. Ezra nursed till he was 24mo, and I concieved this time when he was 22mo.

So, my experience was that even though I got AF back, my cycle was different then before, and that was unexpected and fustrating. A few of those cycles may have been anovulatory as well because we were really going for it and I should have concieved if there was an egg there. Ironically, after all that effort, cd11 was one of the only times we tried in August

Cristina, I would imagine that by 6mo pp your cycle should be regualr enough to ttc
but if you are having any anovulatory cycles, I would consider that 'normal' for a stillbirth mama- between the stress of the loss, and the fact that it takes the body longer to re-regulate after birth without the baby's help. But I will be sending huge gobs of baby dust your way come this winter!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello All,
AF IS HERE. She came on Friday...I was so surprised...its been 4 mo 5 days, my dr was also concerned...she did some blood work and all hormone levels came back healthy and normal...after the blood work results came back, she determined that i would start anytime between then and the next two weeks because i had just O'ed and she was right...i will go for an ultrasound on 8 august so she can see how everything looks in there, i will hopefully have af again in a normal cycle and then in Sep we can start TTC...Who knew i would be so excited to bleed again!!! this is all baby steps...another step along this crazy journey that is my life...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.