Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We love our raw milk and it's pricey and we will drink it all... I haven't started making yogurt yet, but I'm wanting to have some whey on on for different recipes. Is there any drawback to getting whey from storebought yogurt (probably Brown Cow brand) that I'm not aware of? I have not developed a taste for the "cheese" from my raw milk I get after letting it sour on my counter but I do like and would use the a "yogurt cheese", and I also would not be using up precious milk...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
The whey from storebought may or may not have any actual live cultures in it. I read that pasteurized yogurt doesn't always have anything alive in it, even though they say it does.
What are you wanting to do with your whey? Sometimes you can sub soured raw milk for whey, like in soaking grains. I don't think you would want to use it in ferments (Bleh!) but it's great for soaking oatmeal overnight.
I'm sure you'll get lots more info here soon!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm pretty sure Brown Cow does contain live cultures. If my memory serves, I have made yogurt with Brown Cow as my starter. I usually use Seven Stars Farm yogurt as my starter, but I'm not sure if you have that where you are. Dannon plain is also high in active cultures, but not organic.

I would use whey and yogurt from pasteurized then cultured store bought yogurt. In fact I do. Yogurt is a different thing in the end from milk because of the bacteria. If it's a yogurt that you can make yogurt from, then it is alive and useful.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want whey for mayonaise etc.
Many lacto-fermented condiment and other recipes call for it, I don't think I could sub soured milk.

Thanks rosewater! I can also get the Seven Stars Farm yogurt...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm in need of some whey for lacto-fermenting also and am going the store-bought yogurt route. The grocery store I go to doesn't have Seven Stars. Does anyone know if Stoneyfield would be a good one to use?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know years ago I couldn't get Stoneyfield to make yogurt for me as a starter. I don't know if they have changed their practices or not. Do you make yogurt? Do you know anyone who does? If it makes yogurt for you, then yes, you could use Stoneyfield. If not, I'm not sure, because it's then "dead" so to speak. ETA: You could start a new thread asking here if anyone uses Stoneyfield as their yogurt starter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosewater View Post
You could start a new thread asking here if anyone uses Stoneyfield as their yogurt starter.
I will do that!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts