Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the closest source of raw milk is a little over 100 miles away, and I tried to make whey using drained yogurt per the instructions in NT-but I wasn't sure that really did the trick-I used double the amount of whey (thinking that would work if it was weak) and tried to make sauerkraut per the recipe in NT, and it just turned immediately to a rotten nasty mess (I know what sauerkraut is supposed to look like, I think, or at least what my grandmother's looks like). It was yogurt made w/ pasturized milk-Nancy's brand, I think-was this a fluke or have you not had good luck using pasturized milk to make whey with? Would making kefir or something, then letting it separate work better? I really want to start cooking NT, but I'm kind of stumbling off the block...
TIA!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I don't know much about whey, but you can make sauerkraut w/o whey--just use extra salt (or since the recipes in NT tend to be too, salty, add the amount of salt it calls for and it should still be fine). Also, you are supposed to be able to use the liquid from sauerkraut as a substitute for whey in other lacto-ferments. I am going to try using the liquid from my lacto-fermented salsa in place of whey in a ketchup recipe soon, so we'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I very rarely use whey when fermenting. I never use it in sauerkraut. I use the Wild Fermentation recipe, which calls only for salt. My whole family loves it!

I've never tried to separate whey from pastuerized yogurt, so I'm not sure on that front. I always make my own raw yogurt and then make dripped cheese/whey from that. Hopefully someone else will have an idea about that for you.

Don't get discouraged! It takes baby steps, and lot of trial and error, to move into a more traditional style of cooking. I've had so many different kombucha scoby starters, different batches of kefir grains that I've killed, sourdough that wasn't, fermented foods that were just wrong, crispy nuts that didn't get dried out enough and ended up moldy and rotting instead, etc., etc. Just stick with it, and you'll get there, a step at a time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts