Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, but I'm gonna go for it.

I've got a ham boiling on the stove, and I have a mix of different kinds of beans in my pantry. I want to cook a mix of different beans in with the ham (as I've only got 1-2 cans of each - not enough of any one kind for the meal), but I'm not sure what would be good (and more worried about what wouldn't be good).

I've got pinto beans, kidney beans (lots), garbanzo beans, black beans, red beans, and butter beans.

So, what bean mix do you think I should throw in there? (I think I'll also add tomatoes, onions, and whatever other veggies you might recommend)

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
It doesn't really matter, but if it were me, I'd go with the black beans or the butterbeans, depending on how you're seasoning things (the black beans, I would have seasoned the ham and ham liquor with cumin, coriander, and chili spice; butterbeans would work in a more traditional salt-and-pepper flavor profile). I would personally hesitate to use pinto, kidney, or red beans with ham because (TO ME, here, this is extremely subjective) there wouldn't be enough color variety in the dish to suit my tastes. The black or butter beans would provide a nice visual contrast. I didn't comment on the chickpeas because I've never done chickpeas in ham liquor before. I think, texturally, that might be a little different than what you're looking for. But I think it would taste just fine, and I'm pretty sure the chickpeas are more nutritious than any of the others.

In short: if it were me: add some cumin and chili powder to the ham liquor, and use a mix of black beans and chickpeas.
Although, in truth, if I were doing it at home for my family, I wouldn't even think twice: butterbeans. It's traditional.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Here in Pennsylvania Dutch Country, there's only one answer to that question:

Green Beans! Ham & Green Beans are a local favorite, done in the crock pot w/ white peeled boiler potatoes. THen you serve it with apple cider vinegar!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.