Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which bookcase/shelf/cabinet combination do you prefer? Number 1 or 2? This is for our future home library (children's books only - from toddler board books to science/physics texts) and the bookcases will be across one wall.

I need to decide on some cabinets as they are 70% off right now.

Thank you in advance :)

(3rd picture is of the cabinets in store)

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! :) I like to hang all the kids artwork, but I do have around 6 3D pop up play books that I think would be better off being stored flat (in drawers) rather than upright, when not in use. I can't seem to find another use for the drawers though, hence the indecisiveness between the two bookcase configurations. I already have a place to store art supplies, board games and school work books as well.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest, I did not even consider the too much glass aspect! Yikes - Bad mother moment coming up :serious: My children are fairly good with glass being that they handle it quite often and from very early on. Hmm, something definitely to think about though as I'm sure that cabinet glass is of the lovely shard type and not safety glass. Thank you for your input :love

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Can you take the glass out? And would you be willing to do that?

The thing with glass doors is that all it takes is someone to close it too forcefully or to trip or play to get a little rough and tumble- and you've got broken glass everywhere. It's almost definitely NOT safety glass. I know some parents prefer glass for everything, and that's fine if it's your comfort level. It's not mine, so glass would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure if the glass can be taken out and replaced with perspex or another similar material.

Maybe it's just me, but I tend not to worry about glass in the house (not until it was bought to my attention here). We have glass everywhere in the house and the children are taught to handle glass from when they are 15-16 months old - glass cups, plates, bowls, and even pots. Our craft storage is mostly glass jars which they handle every day. Our massive built in wardrobes in the bedrooms are glass as well, and I have yet to deal with an accident that involved injuries of any sort. I have very little rules in the house but we have a firm no rough and tumble in the house rule (plenty of space in the backyard to be wild and free) and these bookcases are for a library room, not a play room and is sectioned off entirely from the play area. The older kids will be in the library mostly, not the toddler and preschooler - well, not until they are older and won't try to draw on/rip up every book in sight! They will have their own low level wooden section in the lounge room that they can access safely, but we have a lot of toddler books so the ones that are not in current rotation in the lounge room will be stored in the library until I swap them over (or preschooler asks for a particular one).
The play room will have zero glass, in case anyone is concerned. :grin:

I have thought about contacting the glass from the inside so that if it is of the shard type, at least the contact will hold it together. That, or the safety film they use. I need doors on the cupboards - it is non negotiable. I suffer from a very bad dust mite allergy, and books that are left out hold dust and a hefty rate at that.. which I cannot clean without a lot of sinus issues following. Books kept behind glass get dusty too but at much slower rate and so the build up to deal with during periodic dusting, is minimal. I can't leave them out in the open and skip the doors, it's simply not an option. Also not rich enough to buy solid wooden doors.. We just have enough to buy these much needed cupboards at 70% off!

So if less glass is preferable, I am guessing #2 is the winner?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In case anyone was wondering :wink: we went with a combination that is slightly different to those above. I asked and apparently the glass doesn't break into shards (should it break), but we are going to put safety film on it anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts