Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn between the dandelion dreamers and the ladybugz (the one with straight legs I love the morning glory flared one but until we know if the bambino is a he or she they are a bit too girly).

I like the fitted bum of the ladybugz but I can't tell from pictures if the DD pattern has a fitted bum like that.

Help please?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Personally I like the DD better. I don't have the longies pattern for the Ladybugz, but I do have the soaker pattern. I guess you are talking about the longies patterns? The DD pattern is sc which in my experience makes it more bullet proof (Ladybugz is hdc). The fitted bum is nice on the Ladybugz, but to me it is limiting. I can't figure out how I could do stripes with the fitted bum (if you get the pattern you will know what I mean, it is hard to describe), but that is not the case with the DD pattern. With the DD pattern you can add short rows and a crotch gusset to add a little extra room and I have never had a problem with them fitting.

As far as the soaker patterns go, the Ladybugz fit over a prefold better, but I guess you could just make the ribbing on the leg opening of the DD longer to make them fit better. I really don't make soakers anymore as I just dress my children in longies or shorties.

Also, Patti from DD is very helpful and has always answered all of my questions promptly and understandably.

hth,

Beth

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man! I got impatient and ordered the ladybugz one last night
Now I wish I had waited
Hmmm maybe I should buy the DD so I can compare.

I started the ladybugz last night while I was watching TV in a soft and fuzzy berrocco 50/50 aplaca wool - I have some undyed merino coming so maybe I will save that for a pair of DD longies. I also have some gorgeous 100purewool coming in beautiful colorways but I think I will make some knit longies/soakers with that - hand dyed stuff sometimes looks funky to me in crochet I like solids or solid stripes in crochet better.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I love the ladybugz one. I have a girl and I love the flared legs. I think I had a picture somewhere . . .

If I remember correctly, I added a couple of extra stitches in the bum area to make it big enough to really stuff it, since my daughter wet really heavily at night, which is when she wore these.

Here, I found the post with pictures. There are several pictures of them, by themselves, and also on my daughter. Scroll to the bottom of this post.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i love the ladybugz pattern, but they are both great. these are the advantages of the ladybugz- it works up quickly, the bum shaping is awesome and allows a soaker to fit longer, and once you have the basic pattern down it is super easy to manipulate the leg shapes and get tons of variations.

i've never had a problem with the hdc causing leaks and i've made tons of pairs. here's a link to my gallery.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5650918...7594199325413/

i've found that this pattern runs small though, so adjust accordingly. also i add a couple of extra stitches when i join the legs so that there is more room for movement

good luck!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I haven't tried the DD pattern, but the ladybugz is great! I made a couple with acrylic leftover in my drawer
and they actually worked out great for around the house. Kind of like a fleece cover, I think. Anyways, I had to add a few more stitches in between the 2 legs as well to give more room to move and for all the diaper stuffing, but I loved how the butt was formed and you could adjust the pattern to do SC once you get it down and know your guage.

Susan

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I love the ladybugz pattern, too. I have never had the leaks that some people talk about, and we can fit a full, fluffy diaper in there. It is super easy, and I got a fantastic result from my first crochet pattern in over 10 years. My mom (a crochet artist in her day) was even impressed with my work.

The other night I was out of my normal bedtime fitted diapers so I had to use a prefold for bedtime. I put in a hemp and microfiber insert with a piece of fleece over it and told dh to use his longies. He wanted to use pul, but I told him the wool longies would be better. Ds woke up pretty dry despite normal heavy night time peeing. The next night (bad me for not doing the wash 6 months pregnant) dh used another cover with the same set up, and he had to change ds in the middle of the night because ds was soaked.

I think you will love the ladybugz pattern!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I have one leg done but it seems a bit wonky to me (I am MUCH better at knitting, crocheting isn't as easy for me but I like the look of crocheted longies in solid colors). I will try to post pictures tonight. The seam seems odd to me, I will get a picture tonight and post and maybe get some help (I think I'm messing up my ss somehow).

Allison I love the Verdes II longies you have on your site, you posted those to the diaperswapper purewool show-off post didn't you? I saw those on there and had to quickly run to the co-op and order that colorway I LOVE it and can't wait to get it and start a pair

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.