Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I had a baby, I had one family practice doctor who was there for the birth and who was also my son's pediatrician. I have changed to a different family doctor because of some issues I had with her, and my son goes to the head neonatologist at the local hospital (because he also takes regular pediatric patients). I will also have a scheduled C-section with an OB, so that's three different doctors I could be dealing with.<br><br>
Last time, my family doctor stopped by a few times after the birth, checked my son for weight gain and jaundice, and told me I HAD to supplement with formula (this is one of the issues I had with her). This time I would like to either have a doctor who's on board with exclusive breastfeeding or be prepared in advance to reject the doctor's advice, but I'm not sure who I'll be dealing with. The new baby will see the same neonatologist as my son, but I'm not sure he will check out the new baby right after birth. How does it normally work? Does the baby's pediatrician always visit, or did my last doctor only do so because she was visiting me already?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Since you are having a scheduled c-section, I will assume that you will be admitted as the patient of the OB (not the family practice doc). This doctor will be responsible for your care. If your neonatologist/pediatrician has privileges at the same hospital as is named as the pediatrician of record, then he will be responsible for the care of your new baby. Your family practice doc will not likely be responsible for either of you, but may make a "courtesy visit." Your previous family practice doc saw you both because you were both her patients. That's the benefit of a FP doc. Generally, infant feeding comes under the scope of practice of the pediatrician, so that is most likely where you will need to aim your breastfeeding guns. Make sense?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts