Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I've had the opposite experience-- my wovens seem to fade less than my knits. I wonder if colorfastness has less to do with fabric type and more to do with fabric quality, though.

The fabric that fades the quickest for me is flannel, then some knits (although I have a couple of wovens that have faded quickly too). Even wovens that I expected would fade rapidly (with black backgrounds) have stayed looking new and fresh for well over a year. But I also have knits that still look almost brand new, too.

Sun will really fade your wovens, though. Faster than knits. When I have to sun diapers with prints, I use a folding rack thing and fold the diapers over it exactly in half, so the outer prints don't get the sun.

Karla

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I find knits can go through this ugly pilly stage but it is usually of short duration and I find that in the long run they stay nicer looking for a longer period...plus I personally prefer diapers with some stretch to them because I think that they fit better.

Steph

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
IME it depends on the color of the knit fabric. The darker color knits always start to get worn and pilly fast. I had a very dark blue knit dipe that looked like it was 6 mos old after only using and washing it 3-4 times. So I'd say dark color knits fade the quickest, then wovens, and then light colored knits

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifetapestry
I've had the opposite experience-- my wovens seem to fade less than my knits.
That has been my experience, too.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
My woven print outers still look brand new, and my knit prints look old fast. For example, I have a faded, pilly FCB frog print (that I LOVE anyway), and I have several FCB with woven outers that you can't tell have been washed at all. The difference is amazing to me, and I will avoid knits altogether in the future, even though the stretch is nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.