Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to recover from IBS and right now I can't eat grains at all, but I eventually want to re-introduce them, and I'm trying to figure out which grain is easiest to digest and thus most likely to be tolerated. Any suggestions? I'm really wanting oats but I'm not sure if that's the best choice.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Sorry this isn't very helpful, but I think that people differ in which grains they find easiest to digest. Re quinoa, I know that some people definitely have trouble with quinoa but can eat other grains.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Millet is the easiest. I know because I have a friend with cancer who is on a very stict diet and her naturopath told her only millet.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I agree with Tamagotchi -- what is easiest to digest will depend in the person. Really depends on why you can't have grains. If it's gluten you are having issues with, I would start with sprouted grains. Anything fermented will be easier to digest, so sourdoughs and soaked grains. Slowcooking and cooking in bone broth also helps with digestion.<br><br>
Different naturopaths will tell you different things. Unsoaked, rice is supposed to have the least phytates and some people find it easier to digest. Millet and quinoa were both on the list my naturopathic doctor gave me of grains to introduce first after a detox.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts