Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently searching for a midwife for a homebirth but also am keeping open the possibility of using an obstetrician at a hospital--just not the one I'm with currently. I would like a waterbirth and no interventions, and I am going to refuse vitK, eye goop, and HepB vax for the baby, and I want to be discharged from the hospital asap. I have refused RhoGAM for myself antenatally (this is what caused my problems with my current OB). Thus far I think if I don't find a good lead on a midwife in the next couple days I will contact Dr. Jacqueline Turner first and branch out from there if necessary. Someone recommended her to someone else on an old thread and mentioned they had planned a waterbirth.

I remember reading good things about Barnes and natural birth, but can't find the thread where I read those good things. Any info about Barnes for natural birth? Or any other hospitals or OBs, while you're at it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I work at Barnes as a nurse, but not a L&D nurse. I just can't imagine they're very supportive of NCB. I know their C-section rate is over 30% but they also have ALOT of high risk moms there. Also I had noted in another thread they are no longer guaranteeing private post-partum rooms as the census has been up considerably since they are now the only hospital with OB facilities inside the St. Louis City limit.

My best birth experience has been with St. Joseph's in Kirkwood. I'm not sure whether a waterbirth would be an option though. I've heard good things about St. Luke's although I have no personal experience. I am told they have birthing tubs there.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My Bradley teacher had a natural water birth at MOBap. She really liked her ob. If you'd like, I can get more info from her.

Oh, and she also successfully avoided all the baby interventions you mentioned.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarmama
My Bradley teacher had a natural water birth at MOBap. She really liked her ob. If you'd like, I can get more info from her.

If you could find out who her OB was that would be great. If you don't want to post it here you can PM me.
So they actually allowed the baby to be born while she was *in* the water?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Oooh, I want more info on that too. I birthed at MoBap in 2004 and they didn't have waterbirths at that time. I was able to get away with many interventions and was told that the hospital and nurses will pretty much follow whatever the dr. says. So if the dr is okay with the birth you want to have it should be okay with the hospital.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Speaking as a disgruntled victim of unneccessary c/sec as well as a doula in the area, my advice to you is to go with a home birth. I personally have not seen or heard of a birth in the St. louis area at a hospital that was not riddled with interventions. MoBap is where I delivered, I was also made to believe that the hospital staff would follow whatever my doc said was ok, and that is not what ended up happening. I had to fight them on everything, from not getting an IV to being allowed off the monitor and into the shower. I did not have any complications until the wrongly diagnosed fetal distress that led to my surgery. I've heard that St. Mary's, due to its high volume of actual high risk pregnancies, not just made up high risk, can be more allowing for peaceful birth than others and that the head of obstetrics there is a pretty good doc. Also, Barnes gives doulas to any laboring mom who requests them. I initially heard good things about Dr. Turner, but have since heard more negative feedback about her. Still, I advise you to seek the care of a midwife or Dr. Duhart, who does homebirths. I can help with the midwife if you need, or try contacting FoMM. Also, I'm 14 weeks into #2 and you couldn't pay me enough to go to one of the hospitals in the area.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just to reassure that good hospital births do happen. I think we are always ready to jump to tell our bad stories, and we don't share our good ones enough. I delivered at St. Johns (yes I know) as a high risk mom in Aug. 06. I was voluntarily induced as a VBAC candidate. Aside from pitocin I went completely drug free. My OB would have induced with Cervadil (but I was already 5cm) I had a wonderful nurse who had 3 natural deliveries of her own. I requested an in-room admission for my dd. The nursery nurse actually assumed that I would be refusing Vit. K, erithromyacin (sp?), etc. The only set back I had was that my ped didn't have privelages at St. John's so I had to have house staff for rounds. That meant that dd had to go to the nursery in the morning.

I was not given any trouble about co-sleeping with dd. They only asked me to leave a light on.

They were a little confused when I couldn't give them strict lenghts and frequencies of nursings, but they just flubbed it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abbieandlady
I delivered at St. Johns (yes I know) as a high risk mom in Aug. 06. I was voluntarily induced as a VBAC candidate. Aside from pitocin I went completely drug free. My OB would have induced with Cervadil (but I was already 5cm) .
Its great that you were able to not use other interventions, but pitocin in VBAC is extremely dangerous and the cause of most UR due to VBAC. Also, since this woman is looking for natural childbirth, St. Johns still wasn't able to provide that to you. Many women who have undergone medical intervention during labor have ended up with more postive outcomes than mine was, but if you are looking for intervention free birth, you are automatically clashing with the hospital's point of view and standards of practice.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I received pitocin by MY choice. My doctor didn't force it on me. Not that it is necessary for me to fully explain why in my case pitocin was the safer option, but here is a small piece of it.

Since I was already dilated to 5+cm without labor the risks for induced VBAC were much much lower than most. I was carrying a very big baby that would have risked me out of a VBAC all together if I hadn't gone into labor spontaneously within a couple of days.

I would have loved a HBAC, but there is not a midwife in their right mind that would/should take me. Believe me I've asked.

So all in all I had as natural a birth as my body is capable of, and I was happy with it.

And jic you are wondering why I would have had a section. Again it was elective on my part as I was in active labor at 23 weeks and just wanted to give the baby the best chance we could.
-Holly

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Guitarmama, did you find out who her OB was?

When we transferred to St. John's they weren't too bad, but it helped that I was 9 cm before we got there. Next time, I want a decent backup OB. And while I don't care about waterbirth, a tub would be great! St. John's doesn't even have showers in the labor rooms.

ETA: Holly, great job on your VBAC.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarmama View Post

I was probably her nurse. They *one time* let *one woman* bring in a labor tub and labor in the water - but made her get out for delivery. I was the RN for that labor/delivery. I left MoBap in 2005, but they did not allow waterbirths and had decided not to allow laboring in tubs either and I haven't heard that it has changed.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The only area hospital that allows water birth is Barnes. There are 2 Drs who will supervise it. Dr Turner and Dr Simkis (sp?) Dr Turner is the OB I fired at 30 weeks for refusing to give me straight answers to my questions. I planned a h/b but transfered to St. Johns. Our treatment by the staff at St. Johns was horrible. We were treated extra bad for having a natural birth and no interventions. The nicu staff lied about my dd's condition and kept her there for 4 days when she was completely healthy the whole time.

H/B is the way to go in St. Louis if you truly want an intervention free birth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.