Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting to give my 6.5 month old some food. He hasn't really eaten much yet, just tastes of bananas and apples. Within the next couple weeks, I'm thinking about letting him try a grain (I'm going to make it w/EBM). I don't want to give white rice, so I was wondering which would be easier on his belly: whole-grain oatmeal or whole-grain brown rice? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I don't know much about the oatmeal but I've been giving dd organic brown rice cereal. she has a somewhat sensitive tummy and we've had no problems with it, and she seems to really like the taste.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
dd started with oatmeal at 7mo just because I love oatmeal and eat it almost every day! Her tummy seemed fine (I mixed it with EBM as well). She's had brown rice cereal later on and was fine with that as well. I'd imagine they're both about the same though, so either should be fine!<br><br>
She's almost a year now and we still add a little oatmeal cereal to her cup of EBM to help her drink it (it makes the milk a little thicker and slower moving so she can drink it without spilling!)

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
DD hasn't had oatmeal yet but she has had organic brown rice cereal from Earth's Best baby food line starting last month. She tolerated it well. She seems to enjoy brown rice. She eats peas with brown rice, sweet potatoes with brown rice, winter squash with brown rice...let's just say she gets her fill of brown rice now!

·
Registered
160 Posts
You can use scottish oats, that would be a good texture for babies. We use whole wheat farina or a 10 grain mixture from Bob's red mill. I started giving Joseph the whole wheat cerial at about 8 months though, so I don't know if it would be too early for your baby.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
We started DD on organic brown rice but after a while, I just didn't like how sticky and blah it tasted. So I switched to oatmeal and she loved it. Doesn't oatmeal have more nutrients in it anyway?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I just bought organic oats (or rice) and either ran it through my grain mill to turn into flour to cook in batches or cooked it and blended it. I couldn't afford the prepackaged stuff.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My ds loves his oatmeal! I have also made brown rice, but oats are so much easier. I use rolled oats and you can cook them as directed and then just puree it after cooking. I have also ground the oats first, but I just think it's easier to cook it first.<br><br>
Speaking of Scottish oats...I recently bought some Steel cut oats...same thing... but I can seem to get these cooked soft enough. Any suggestions on preparing these or am I doing something wrong? Are they alot healthier than rolled oats?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts