Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having the urge to simplify DSs' toys. We seem to have a lot of building toys. I would like to get rid of one of the following....(I think I know which one, but I wanted to get some more opinions)

wooden unit blocks
duplo blocks
tinker toys
bristle blocks
lincoln logs

So...which one would you get rid of and why? What is you were to get rid of 2 of them?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
well it would depend on how he played with them, but I think I'd give up the bristle blocks and the tinker toys.

They are both neat concepts but more limited in what you can do with them. (structures you can do don't vary as much, I think)

I guess Lincoln Logs are too, come to think of it (as in, the way they fit together) but I kinda still like them because they are wooden and I like the whole old-fashioned cabin feeling of the structures you can build.

Wooden blocks are obviously the most basic and best, and Duplo Legos can be very creative, especially if you have a few of the interesting pieces to inspire your child (wheels, windows)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hmmm, If it were me, I would get rid of the tinker toys. Why? b/c I really did not like them when I was a kid. My kid sister delighted in snapping the sticks into little pieces.

However, I totally loved lincoln logs. I played with them until I was 12
(but I didn't like them when I was 5).
I would challenge myself to recreate a lincoln log house from an image. Like the ones they would picture in the little brochure that came with the lincoln logs...the one that offers you to buy the house plans to show you step by step.

Now, as a "grown up," my interests are Art and Real Estate; so I can see why I preferred lincoln logs over the tinker toys.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Ha, I don't know how much help this thread will be to you! Personally, my cousin and I LOVED Tinker Toys when we were kids. I would say the bristle blocks and the Duplo blocks, because we've had our Duplos for years and DD never, ever plays with them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Get rid of whatever isn't played with and keep the items which are used. None of my kids played with duplo blocks. Same with the lincoln logs and and even the unit blocks. They just didn't play with them. We just bought a big set of tinker toys for the 6 yo. We'll see how it goes. Kids either seem to love building toys or not.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
My 5 yr old ds adores his tinkertoys. If that was my list, they would stay. I also really like the idea of unit blocks, even though both my kiddos don't make a beeline for them at all. I choose between the bristle blocks and the duplo because I see them as kind of duplicate. I don't know about the lincoln logs. Does your son use them?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
My kids still play with tinker toys and wooden blocks and they are 10 (almost 11!) and 8. They also played with duplos for a loooong time, until we finally replaced them with regular legos a year or two ago. So, I would get rid of the bristle blocks and lincoln logs because they never used those much. However, it really depends on what your kids like best!

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
I would only "get rid of" what my kid agreed to give up (without manipulation - not that you are doing that!). I just feel really strongly that it's HIS stuff. If I think it's not being played with, I might put it away for a while to try to increase the play value of the things left out, but not just get rid of.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
What gets played with the least at your house? My kids' don't like lincoln logs or duplos/legos. They were only ever used to make noise, hit siblings or dump out so I got rid of those. If my kids' played with them I wouldn't have gotten rid of them ya know?

I would keep the unit blocks for sure.

If your boys' are getting older, get rid of the duplos or bristle blocks and keep the other stuff.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I'd see what the kids are actually playing with, and either put away or give away the least played with set.

As much as I love the concept of unit blocks, my kids hardly play with them! Heck, I'd love to skim the toys down to one box of blocks, a few toys with wheels, a few art supplies and a few stuffed toys, but I know it's not going to happen!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The problem is that they are almost 3 and 4 and I would hate to get rid of the one that they might enjoy playing with in the future. Also, we are homeschooling so they will not have the opportunity to play with these items at a preschool.

Currently, they play with unit blocks the most, followed by the duplos, then bristle blocks, tinkertoys (these actually are the ones that irritate me the most - so many parts and they are always making things to hit each other with!), then the Lincoln Logs (hardly played with ever)

Hmmm.....I'm still pondering. I think I may part with the Lincoln Logs.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederickMama View Post
Based on your last post .... I'd get rid of the tinker toys.
Your kids are young enough that they may still gain an interest in the lincoln logs ( and they are my favorite)
I agree.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts