Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD just turned 3, and I found out that the local school board will allow her to begin Kindergarten in September 2009 (probably Junior K).

Since she was born, she has been on a wait list for the traditional Charter school (focus on academics, uniform required) down the street. That school will not let her start school until September 2011 (when she'll be almost 6). If she enters a Kindergarten program at a different school in the meanwhile, she will forfeit her original spot on the wait list, and be put at the bottom of the list for Grade 1 admission consideration.

There is a school board-run public Montessori school not too far away, or a bilingual (French-English, Mandarin-English) program at another school farther away that she could begin in September 2009. Registration for these schools is in a few weeks.

Which one would you choose? BTW, all seem like very good schools.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
I'd choose the traditional charter school because a. I love uniforms and b. I would like the later start to education - I would be fine with DD starting school at almost 6 - c. it's down the street. I am not a fan of junior k or Montessori, or rather, those things just aren't important to me. But that's just me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
I would go with the bilingual program!
But only if you are interested in that.


Did you put her on the waitlist at birth because you really like the school? If that is the case, I would wait so you don't lose your spot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I'd choose the traditional charter school because a. I love uniforms and b. I would like the later start to education - I would be fine with DD starting school at almost 6 - c. it's down the street.
I like the idea of uniforms, too. Also, since it's so close by, that would be so convenient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HipGal View Post
Did you put her on the waitlist at birth because you really like the school? If that is the case, I would wait so you don't lose your spot.
It was partly because the school has a good reputation, some friends' children go there now, and it is in our neighbourhood. The spots for this school are in high demand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristaN View Post
I guess that it depends on why you want to start her at nearly 5 rather than nearly 6. Can you give us some background on why you were exploring options to have her start sooner?
I had originally thought that she would not be able to start until she was nearly 5 (2010); but, the school board here says that, because she will be 5 in 2010, she qualifies to start in 2009. I was not intending to put her in so early, but am wondering if I would miss getting a spot in the Montessori or bilingual program if I did not register her when she became eligible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi2 View Post

Which one would you choose? BTW, all seem like very good schools.
I'd choose Montessori, but that's based upon what I value more in education. Not concerned with uniforms, really. I'm more concerned on developing a love of learning, focus, peace, and a sense of ownership the child has over their learning.

You have to go with what fits best with your family and values, however.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top