Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We co-sleep with our 6 month old and he has gotten in the habit of nursing every 45 minutes to an hour during the night. He is strictly breast fed right now, and I would like for him to sleep longer between feedings. I was thinking if he had a little bit of solids before bed time he would sleep longer.

I'm not sure what would be good to introduce to him that would stick to his ribs. We have given him avacado a few times and he enjoys it. What about rice cereal mixed with water? Or, perhaps you might have some suggestions.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
solids helping babies sleep longer is a myth. Babies wake for all kinds of reasons, hunger is not high on the list for a 6 month old more than once a night.
I suggest a book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution"

·
Registered
531 Posts
OK lilirose, so do you know when they start to sleep again? DD is just over 7 months old and is now waking every 20 - 30 minutes all night long!! I'm going crazy. How does she get any rest?

I think us poor mom's of 6-8 month old non-sleepers should start a support thread. Maybe it would help somewhat. I'm definitely very close to giving dd to dh, putting in the earplugs and getting some sleep!

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Frequent nightwaking in a 6--9 mo is most likely teeth. Early big meals of solids make some babies sleep worse, as their digestive systems may not be ready and they can get upset tummies and constipation.

Try Hyland's homeopathic teething tablets, or even Baby Motrin for teething, if you were desparate, as I was.

One more idea for frequent nightwaking is looking at your diet. If you are bfing, foods you eat (esp dairy) can cause digestive upset when the proteins get into your milk and into your baby. Cut back or cut them all out if necc for 2 weeks and see if you see improvement.

Or your baby may be working on skills such as sitting up or pulling to stand and he may try to practice this in the middle of the night, which disturbs his sleep.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll join that support group for non-sleepers!! My ds was up three times a night to eat until a few weeks ago, and he will sleep through the night maybe three nightsout of seven. And my husband just started working out of town all week. The one thing that saves me now that I am at home during the day, so I will lay down and sleep with him during the day. Hey, it's playing catch up at this point!

I did notice that if my son spent time outdoors in the early morning and went to bed EARLIER than usual, he slept better. If you are really desperate for sleep, you can try night weaning. If you think your babe is ready. That won't get you any sleep initially, but I think it's easier in the long run!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Nightwaking could also be caused by developmental leaps. Some babies wake often at night when they are getting ready to do something new, such as crawling or walking.

I think nightweaning is not recommended before 12 months old.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
My 10 month old eats at least one solid meal a day. Sometimes more but definetly one and she wakes throughout the nght. Last night was a good night with her waking up every 3 hours instead of 2. I think we are making progress. I hope there is still room in that support group thread.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i'll join in. baby-loo has not slept well since about 3.5 months and now is 7 months. she wakes about every 2-3 hrs now which is not so bad b/c it used to be every hr for a while. still is on a bad night. i think she is teething when that happens. she is a super busy baby and i think mostly it is her temperament. i try to make peace with it but i sure would love some support from other moms going through the same thing. moms with babies who sleep long periods can have a hard time understanding what it is like. i think solids have helped my baby sleep a bit longer. but it could be a coincidence. she loves to eat!! i am wondering about allergies and what is in my breastmilk. i cut out dairy but i am thinking maybe soy is a bad one too!! sigh. it can be difficult. does anyone know how to start a support thing or is it just a new thread?? thanks.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
My experience has also shown that solids won't necessarily help a baby sleep any longer. My ds started solids at about 9 months, and until he was 2 continued to wake 2-8 times a night. Now he wakes 1x a night if I'm in bed with him (more often if I'm not). However, now that he is eating solids I do like to make sure that he has something somewhat filling in the evening, or else he awakes at 5am and is starving!

If your babe is liking solids, then maybe rice cereal mixed with breastmilk, mashed banana, mashed avocado, some yogurt (unless you're avoiding dairy, which I did for the first year). But I wouldn't push solids just hoping for some better sleep, because most likely you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
531 Posts
OK, I've started a support thread in the Family Bed and Nighttime Parenting Forum. Let's see whose babe can wake the most often in one night!

·
Registered
269 Posts
DaryLLL what more can you tell us about early big meals affecting sleep?

My dd is crazy for solids. She can't get enough. She is 8.5 months. I tried an experiment this am and after a full tummy of breastmilk she ate an entire small bannana and at least a 1/4 cup of puffed kamut. She would have eaten more
Yikes! That was more than what my toddler ate. (apparently I ate like this as a babe too)Can you point us to some more info on this?

By the way she is nightwaking a lot too. She is going through teaath and some seperation stuff and I had attributed it to that. I had never thought of all the food she was eating as a possible cause.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
kellymom.com is an excellent resource for all bfing and infant nutrition q's. As well as sleep q's, any AP stuff.

Here is one link which is a link to multiple links on solids and their uses and effects.

http://www.picosearch.com/cgi-bin/ts.pl

All real baby experts (LLL, Dr Sears, Dr Jay Gordon) rec when starting solids, to go slowly and proceed with caution. Esp if allergies run in the family.

Read Dr Sears' Nutrition Book.

Consider: your baby is going from a pure milk diet to one of mixed liquids and solids. It is just common sense to go slowly and allow the digestive system to gradually adjust. Yes, your baby may adore solds, their taste and texture may please him. But, you are the mom and have more sense than the baby! (My 12 year old loves the taste and texture of Cheetos and Coke, but do I let him live on them? Does that analogy make sense?)

Other factors you mention, teeth, developmental milestones, may wake a baby. Or he may be spirited or just still a light sleeper with short sleep cycles (read Raising Your Spirited Child and Nighttime Parenting).

But if the nightwaking does not seem to be from these causes, or gets worse when you begin tablefoods, try cutting back on them or even cutting them out completely for a couple days, and see what happens. Esp if baby is constipated or seems to be extra gassy or in pain from the gut. If he sleeps better without solids, try not to give him any for a month or so, then reintroduce gradually. I know this can be hard with a baby who wants solids, but whose gut is not ready!

·
Registered
423 Posts
maybe i should post in the new thread but i just have to say... baby-loo slept through the night last night!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the first time in months and well, it was on a day that i was too busy to give her solids. so there goes that theory out the window. i noticed lately that that she seems to be trying to put herself back to sleep when she wakes at night but wasnt quite making it. i guess it was her 7 month birthday present. her head mushed into my back or on my pillow and she slept soundly. just to clarify she slept from midnight when dad walked her around a bit until 5 am!! i was awake at 4 crying a bit from wonder and worrying that i would wake her if i went to the bathroom. it's funny b/c i was reading the sears fussy/high need baby last night before i went to bed and had a renewed sense of baby-loo just being who she is and the need to respect that. then she slept. it's all about letting go for me. seems like when i am ready to let go things change. that said i do not expect to sleep through all the time but knowing it is possible gives me hope.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts