Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy quality stuff for my babe that I can hand down to future kids. I'm finding that a lot of Carter's stuff pills pretty bad. Who has really good quality stuff? Baby Gap, Osh Kosh, Hanna Anderson, Old Navy, bigger names like Tommy Hilfiger and Nautica, Gymboree ...?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
babyGap is mostly really good...check the article of clothing over well before buying (sometimes things get through quality check that shouldnt)
Childrens Place is also really good
Levi's jeans IMO are the best (Gap comes in at a close #2)
Gap sweatshirts are the BESTEST...they last forever and ever
Then again..i find alot of the cheaper brands can last pretty well too

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I love Please Mum pants (are they in Canada only though?). The knees are reinforced so DS can't wear them out and they make a slim fit that actually stays on his little waist. I've never had him wear out a pair of their jeans and I've picked them up for as little as $12.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've been really happy w/ the quality of Gymboree clothes. The clothes run a little big and don't shrink. The socks are perfect size but shrink a lot, so I'd recommend buying one size bigger.

I wait until they have sales or GymBucks though b/c their stuff is pricey. You can sign up for email notification of sales and GymBucks on their web site.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would say NO to JC Penney clothes, although I am not sure if it's them or the manufacturer. We bought my son some Power Rangers outfits there and within 3-4 wearings, they had rips or tears in them.

Granted, he is 5 yrs old and likes to play, but this has never happened with any of his other clothes. Not sure how baby clothes would do..

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I am buying a lot of thrift and consignment sale clothes and the ones that seem in the best condition are: Lands End, LLBean, Childrens Place, Gymboree. Old Navy and Baby Gap are ok, but I dont think they hold up as long term as the other. Like Gymboree for example, has dates on their labels and I am finding GC stuff from 1998! I am sure Hanna and others are good quality, I just dont find those at my thrift stores.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
babystyle cotton washes really nicely. I've had good luck w/ buying used stuff from hanna anderson, gymboree, and old navy. for boutique stuff, zutano and petit bateau is good if you follow the care instructions exactly.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
It's been awhile since my kiddos were babes, but when they were I loved Old Navy, Gymboree, and Baby Gap. Old Navy for me was really most practical b/c their clothes are cheap but well-made, and by the time they start to fall apart your kid has long outgrown them and they've probably been through a few hand-me-downs. Also they and the Baby Gap change lines often so you get a lot of high-quality stuff on clearance.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I almost only buy Gymboree. It's very expensive, but it lasts forever. I never buy stuff at full price. I always wait for the Gymbuck earning period and then buy the on sale items I want. Then when the redemption period comes around, I'll buy more on sale stuff or I might buy a select few full price items. They also have really great in-store sales every once and a while.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Land's End wears like iron, in my experience! I like that they have classic, non-trendy styles, too, but their selection of kids' clothes is really really limited which is a shame.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I got a Gymboree outfit as a gift, and it really does seem like good quality. I'll have to check out the Gymbucks program. Is ot one of those things where you get, say, $10 for every $50 you spend?

I also got a Ralph Lauren outfit as a gift and that was one of my favorites. Even after repeated washings it seems like it's in great shape. Very little pilling.

·
Registered
749 Posts
We've had the same experience with Carter's stuff not wearing too well. The Hanna Andersson stuff lasts forever which almost makes it worth the price (we go to the outlet). OshKosh stuff seems to last well too. LL Bean baby clothes also last forever.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The best clothes yet that I've found came by way of another MDC mommy, hannaandersson.com But the selection is not so good, espc. if you have a boy.
: But the PJ's are the best! I also think baby gap has great quality stuff. I bought a ton of really cute stuff on Ebay for my little man!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Ahh, you see, the trick to buying Gymboree clothes is to become an employee! 40 % off!

I have been an employee for over 4 years now. They are a great company who gave me the job because I wanted to have a place to go out too, and change my mind from housework.

Register on the Gymboree website, they will send you, now and then, a "Friends of Gymboree" coupon. It gives 30% off new and sale items! So that's the time to stock up.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I must be an odd duck because I really find that Carter's stuff wears nicely
Most of it for us is now on its third kid and still looking pretty good. Most of the other brands mentioned we haven't owned before. I do love Hanna Andersson stuff too, it is just expensive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.