Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thinking about getting a structured carrier (like an ergo) for my 2 month old ds. I think dad would feel comfortable carrying him around outdoors with something structured. But which one? and at what age can we start? I have a hotsling now and we bought a babyhawk, but the babyhawk is awfully big on me since I am so short and he really cant hold his head in it too well yet. I am hoping he will grow into it and dh can use it but wanted to try a structured one now. He always comments on people carrying thier baby in a snuggli type carrier, so I think he would prefer a structured one. What are your favorites and why?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I like the Kozy, but if your babyhawk isn't working for you, then a Kozy probably won't either. The ergo might be your best bet, but if you and DH are really sized differently the ergo may not work so well either. Well, unless your just looking for something for DH. Oh, and there's always the Bjorn. My DH loves the Bjorn, but I can't for the life of me figure out why!

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Have you tried rolling the bottom of the BH to make it a little shorter? Also, are you pulling the shoulder straps really snug so that his upper body/head aren't flopping backwards, and making sure he's well down in there?<br><br>
On the structured carrier, at this stage you would need to get an infant insert as well and carry baby in more of a sling position (head on one side, feet on the other, bum in the middle) in a front carry. Your baby won't be big enough to use the structured carrier without the insert for another couple of months (until he's big enough to sit comfortably with legs spread). At that point, you'll be able to wear him on front or on back.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Ergos are supposedly not great for short people. I have heard the Angelpack LX is better for short torsos. I would go to the forums at thebabywearer.com -- there are many experts there if you are looking for a structured carrier for a small person. If the Ergo is for your DH and not you, it should work great .. except that it probably won't be for a few months. The infant insert looks really awkward... so we just waited till DD was 4 months or so to use ours. It is by far my DH's favorite carrier... he much prefers the looks of it, too.<br><br>
You can also try rolling your BH at the waist strap to make the body a little shorter...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts