Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through a few old threads about mattress protection, but a lot of them talk about using shower curtains or flannel plastic-backed something (tablecloths? curtains? I forget). I'm definitely not keen on using a shower curtain, and I have no idea where to find the flannel thing. I may or may not use the bed for the birth (hoping that the birth pool will be ready and what I want, but who knows, right?). So I'm wondering about a couple of different options. If you've BTDT, could you offer some insight?

Regular mattress protection...are these enough to keep out all the bodily fluids??

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...i_sku=11984452
http://www.amazon.com/Luna-Hypoaller...056941&sr=8-11

...vs just a plastic bag/cover.
http://www.1cascade.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=4627

Any other suggestions?

I don't really want something that's going to be too noisy (super light sleeper), and I will want to keep it on there for a while, if possible - good for nursing and diaper leaks. Buying something and just throwing it in the trash afterwards doesn't appeal to me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I didn't have my baby at home (
) but I did buy a fitted waterproof mattress pad after my baby was born because I had massive oversupply and I would wake up in a puddle of milk. The pad stays on my bed at all times now (have a potty-learning toddler in bed) and I don't see why it wouldn't work for birth. It is machine washable, and I guess it could get discolored/stained, but it goes under the sheets, so I can't see it.

It was more expensive than a shower curtain would be.... but it continues to be useful.

Maybe someone else has tried one for birth, and there may be a reason it wouldn't work that I just don't realize...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Our midwife says shower curtain, but I had read on a homebirth blog (navelgazing midwife) that a paint drop cloth is more comfortable. They come in many different thickness. I bought a PEVA shower curtain and a 1 mil drop cloth. I hope we'll be covered.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I used a plastic drop cloth and put a regular sheet (that I was willing to part with, though I didn't have to - didn't end up laboring or birthing on the bed) over it.

It was a little crinkly but not too bad. I think the least crinkly thing you could get would be an official mattress protector.

Any plastic you put down, whether a shower curtain or drop cloth or mattress protector will have the side effect of making you a bit sweaty.

My water ended up breaking on the carpet (the usual story: I got up in the middle of the night to pee, walked two steps and sploosh), but my carpet lived. If you really hate the idea of mattress protection I bet your mattress would live too. After all, it's not diesel gasoline you're in danger of spilling there. And probably most of us have a few blood spots on the mattress from when you wake up with your period.

I'm not saying you shouldn't put anything on your mattress, but just that it's a viable option - amnotic fluid will dry up and it will be fine. You could just wait until you go into labor, and yes, you run the risk of breaking your water on the mattress, but that's the case anywhere, really (will you avoid sitting in your chair? avoid walking across the carpet? avoid riding in the car? etc.). So if you don't like the idea of putting anything down, consider not putting anything down
Or at least consider waiting until you're actually in labor.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Our plan has been to use our current waterproof mattress pad (which works great-held back an entire pitcher of OJ, but we hate), as the real barrier, and buy a new one to replace it. We're going to make up the bed with the new cover, "keeper" sheets and such-then cover it with the old cover, with "throw away" sheets on top, to be slept on/used the last few days of pregnancy and through the birth.

We're may attempt to wash the top "throw away" layer after the fact, but if we don't feel like dealing with it, or if it stains badly, we'll just toss it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't care much about our carpet. It needs to be replaced anyway.

I have a mattress cover on my bed now...maybe I should test it and see how much protection it provides. The only problem otherwise is that it's just barely deep enough for the mattress. There's no way I could put multiple layers of stuff on the bed with the current cover and sheet on the top. They barely stay on as it is.

Thanks for the feedback. It gave me some more to think about.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I splurged on a waterproof soft king sized mattress pad from Target-- it feels like flannel and isn't crinkly at all but is 100% waterproof. It was $20, so compared to the investment into the mattress it seems like a good way to go. And it won't make any noise or feel funny.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I bought a non-slip plastic paint drop cloth, which we won't put on until I go into labor. I too hate the crinkly sound. For the first few days after, I'll just use underpads- those chux pads, they are waterproof, absorbent squares that will soak up milk, pee, poo, anything. You can get those at a pharmacy.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have one of these and seriously could not say enough good things about it.

I was hesitant to purchase it given the price (I have a king sized bed) however I've had it for 5 years now. I birthed my son on it, nursed two babies and had countless spit ups and vomit from illnesses over that time. It still looks new and my mattress has never gotten anything on it. There is no crinkling, no toxic vinyl, it's not hot to sleep on (I tried the waterproof mattress pads that are available in Target and they are TERRIBLE!)

We now have these for every bed in our home!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have a regular style waterproof mattress pad that we have had for years. Then I had a shower curtain on hand to throw on for the labor and only the labor. I cannot stand to sleep on plastic. My parents have every mattress in their home in those plastic bags and I hate staying the night there for that reason.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought these - I found a couple packs in the clearance section at the store, but they aren't too pricey regular price either: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3046050

I placed two of them under the area where I was going to give birth - and I had another two that the midwife placed under the fresh sheets after they changed all the bedding.

They worked REALLY well, were silent and didn't change the feel of the bed.

Now, we use them to put underneath our boy when we change him on the bed or floor.

·
Registered
855 Posts
We have a waterproof mattress protector. We had to buy one in order to get the 15 year guarantee on the bed. But I think it is perfect for the birth. It's a long term cover that will be good for in case membranes rupture in bed, which happened to me last time as my first sign of labour. It will be good for labour, my massive oversupply and the EC journey. And eventually for in case I spill a glass of red wine on the bed. Totally worth the $100 we spent on it.

But if we didn't have it, I would use a giant flannel backed table cloth from the dollar store. Probably several of them overlapping and encasing the mattress. They are $1 a piece so I could but lots. They may or may not hold up in the washing machine and be reused for picnic table cloths or for craft catch all.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
They have very thin, large soft plastic sheets for paint drop cloths at the hardware store. They are super cheap- I think we pay about 2 dollars for ours.

I'm pretty sure it would be a UA for me to say why I use these, but trust me, they can keep a LARGE amount of fluid from soaking through to your mattress and they are quiet and comfortable under sheets. We sleep on one every night. "Waterproof" mattress covers have failed me too many times- the only reason I use them now is to make the bed comfier over the plastic sheet when I feel like it, but the thin ones really don't crinkle too much and you don't feel like you're sleeping on plastic. We just lay it over the mattress and tuck it under the sides and then put the fitted sheet over it.

I had a shower curtain liner under the fitted sheet for my home birth and my ex and I hated sleeping on it, and then we ended up not needing it because we had a water birth. The thin plastic sheets are much better.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My preference is either a big drop sheet, or actually my best experience has been with the IKEA shower curtain...very cheap and made of a different, safer, plastic...not the noisy, stinky kind.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I bought an inexpensive, vinyl mattress "bag"...it completely envelopes the mattress and zips closed. For a king-sized one that fits deep mattresses, I paid about $20 at bed, bath, & beyond...I couldn't find one thick enough at Target or Walmart, but I looked there, too. I know you can be creative and make do with something a lot cheaper, but for me it is worth the convenience of having it done, knowing it will stay on and not shift or make noise, and knowing that we can just leave it on as long as we want afterward.

Over the top of the vinyl bag we'll put our quilted mattress pad (to keep the crinklies at bay) and a set of sheets. If we get ambitious during labor, we'll possibly throw down an extra waterproof barrier (an oversized chux, cheap dropcloth or something) and another old set of sheets.

I have no intention of birthing on the bed, or even laboring much, so it's not something I'm overly concerned about. But I do want the mattress protected in case my water breaks or something. And for a few months afterward, to protect from leaky breasts or leaky babies!

At my last birth, we made it all the way through the birth and I never even touched the bed, but as soon as my placenta was expelled, I wanted to get back in the tub. So I handed dh the baby and said "bring her to me when you're finished with the cord!" I was really obsessed about getting in that tub! Well, the midwife put the bowl with the placenta in it up on the bed beside the baby, and then she promptly knocked it over!
So we had a bit of a mess....had to change the sheets, but the mattress was fine!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.