Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
It didnt escape my radar.......and I am VERY mad about it. All it does is give abusive, controlling parents even more control, because now they can prosecute someone who trys to HELP their child.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Neither of my senators voted for it either.

We had parental notification on the ballot for town meeting day this year and managed to defeat it. I was kind of shocked to learn that abortion in many states is the only medical procedure a minor has to inform their parents about. I think most people when they think of this think that parents have to be informed about everything but abortion. In a lot of states you can get prenatal care and put your kid up for adoption as a minor without telling your parents but if you want an abortion you have to tell them.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't you just love how a girl who isn't comfortable going to her parents can go to court and receive permission? As if it is that easy.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I understand why it's important that girls have this option. However, I'm still very uncomfortable with anyone being able to take my children across state lines for any reason without my permission.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Well, considering the way i plan to raise my kids, they shouldn't have a problem coming to me to tell me they got pregnant........so I'm not worried about that.

I fear for the girls who KNOW something bad would happen to them if they told their parents, so they get help from someone they trust, now that person can be sent to jail!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by romans_mum
Well, considering the way i plan to raise my kids, they shouldn't have a problem coming to me to tell me they got pregnant........so I'm not worried about that.

I fear for the girls who KNOW something bad would happen to them if they told their parents, so they get help from someone they trust, now that person can be sent to jail!
Very well said.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I plan to raise my children to be able to some with me too. I also feel for the girls in bad situations where they need to be protected from their parents. That's why, even though it makes me uncomfortable, I still think girls should have this option open to then. It sounds like you think I'm for the bill, and I promise you I'm not.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
oh, i definatly feel uncomfortable that a girl can do it without her parents knowing........but then i also know the other side of the fence, where i was glad i didnt have to have my parents knowing every medical detail.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd like to think that my kids would come to me with everything too, but in the case that they wouldn't, I'd like to believe that they'd go to another trusting adult in our lives to help them out.

When I was I teenager my parents and their friends had a great system set up for us kids; anytime we were ANYWHERE, at ANYTIME, and felt uncomfortable or threatened in any way, we could call any set of parents to come pick us up, no questions asked (until the morning, of course
)in order to get us out of that situatuion. The belief was that our parents HOPED we'd come to them, but if in the event, being teenagers, we'd be too uncomfortable or embarrased doing so, we'd have other options and wouldn't have to fend for ourselves. It was great, and I plan to use that kind of system myself when my own kids are older.

I believe in the strength and unity of the nuclear or binuclear family, but I believe in the extended family too, and that doesn't necessarily specify blood ties.

Jill

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
What the heck? Some states are taking away womens rights now women can't go to states where they can have a choice. So saddened by this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts