Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
or watching the Kardashians - no one here watches that crap, right? - the SCOTUS declared that drug companies can be exempt from lawsuits. So make sure you read the package insert, the PDR and ask lots of questions of the pharmacist before you wash down that next prescription drug, because you will be stuck with the side effects.

http://www.sott.net/article/263713-Supreme-Court-rules-drug-companies-exempt-from-lawsuits

Karen Bartlett vs. Mutual Pharmaceutical Company

In 2004, Karen Bartlett was prescribed the generic anti-inflammatory drug Sulindac, manufactured by Mutual Pharmaceutical, for her sore shoulder. Three weeks after taking the drug, Bartlett began suffering from a disease called, 'toxic epidermal necrolysis'. The condition is extremely painful and causes the victim's skin to peel off, exposing raw flesh in the same manner as a third degree burn victim.

Karen Bartlett sued Mutual Pharma in New Hampshire state court, arguing that the drug company included no warning about the possible side effect. A court agreed and awarded her $21 million. The FDA went on to force both Mutual, as well as the original drug manufacturer Merck & Co., to include the side effect on the two drugs' warning labels going forward.
Wow. That could have been me. I had bursitis in 2004 until 2009 when I went to a natural healing doctor after going to Physical therapy, acupuncture, nutritionist and it is gone, never to return.

I know that SCOTUS Justice Clarence Thomas was a Monsanto attorney, but what about the rest of them? The decision was 5-4, Alito, Kennedy, Scalia, Roberts and Thomas were the five who made the decision. Ugh!

Sorry, this is a two year old case. It still startled me! Are drug companies completely free of product liability? Are we just their lab rats in the post marketing surveillance?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
How can they claim that the generic manufacturer couldn't be expected to know of a side effect that wasn't (yet) known by the original manufacturer?
When this was already published a couple of decades before this poor lady was prescribed this drug:
Hepatitis, toxic epidermal necrolysis and pancreatitis in association with sulindac therapy
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6224935

1 - 2 of 2 Posts