Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been making whey and cream cheese from raw milk a few times. It seems that after the finished whey has spent a few days in the fridge, it gets a white layer on top of it. Anyone experience this? Is it ok do you think, or am I doing something wrong? The rest of the liquid is yellowish.
I use the recipe in NT.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am about to make some more now. Does anybody know if I should do something to prevent this white layer on top? Or is this how homemade whey looks? Ok to eat anyway?
I don't know anybody else who makes it but me around here...

·
Registered
322 Posts
That white layer is just milk solids, including cream. Ideally, we can strain it enough to get all of it out. But if not, and I never can, it is still fine, just give it a shake before you use it. I usually try to skim it out everytime I open the stuff, so there is less each time. The whey will last longer without it, I hear, but my whey, even with the white stuff, still lasts a good six months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a good 1 inch or so white layer on my whey, using raw milk for my mozzarella was about 5 or 6 liters. I figured I would boil this gently to make ricotta but no curds formed. I began experimenting at this point so I added a pint of heavy cream, reheated it, and then added a little white vinegar and a teaspoon of citric acid slowly, Curds still didn't form. However, the top layer was thick and creamy by this point. after it cooled I poured it of into a cheesecloth and let it drain overnight. Lo and behold, the next morning I had a smooth, delicious and creamy cream cheese, wayyy better than the Philadelphia brand in terms of taste.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts