Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that my almost one-year-old ds has some marks that are a different shade of white near the bottom of his two front teeth. Please tell me this isn't the start of decay! I'm kind of freaking out. We don't really brush (I do try to get in there with the brush every night before bed, but he usually grabs it out of my hand and throws it to the floor) but I was thinking that wasn't a big deal, since he just started eating solids regularly (still BF'ing, especially all night long) and he doesn't ever have juice or sugary things.

So...what are these marks? And what kind of toothpaste should I start using (I'm thinking brushing would be more appealing with toothpaste)? I'm torn between Spry Infant Tooth Gel and Children's Tooth Gel 2.1 oz from Weleda.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
A few of my kids have this. I asked a dentist about it once, and he said it wasn't decay (although I can't remember what he said it WAS...) and not to worry about.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Montessori Mommy
I'm not a dentist or anything, but if the white marks are bright white, or whiter than the rest of his tooth, it could be fluorosis. see pics here: http://www.fluoridealert.org/dental-fluorosis.htm
It does look like the first pic, the mild case. If it is that, it's ironic, because for a few months now I've been trying to find the time to do research into a reverse osmosis system (we use a Brita filter, but it does not filter out the flouride the city adds to our water).

Also ironic, since my dentist (soon to be my ex-dentist) harped on how important it was that I drink lots of good city water while pregnant and breastfeeding, and if I did FF I should buy the kind you mix with water so I could use good flouridated city water.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah, most dentist are avid fluoride pushers! Fortunately, my peds dentist is pretty open minded and didn't give me the "bad mother" look when I told her we don't use fluoride or want any fluoride treatments.

I have moderate fluorosis too, when I asked my childhood dentist (ex dentist) what it was, he never told me it was fluorosis, but instead told me it was probably from being sick as a child!

I later found out it was fluorosis and did some research on fluoride, finding out it is toxic, and while possibly having a benefit when applied topically (no thanks), is certainly not meant to be ingested! That's when I switched to non-fluoridated toothpaste. An interesting side note: I was diagnosed with peri-oral dermatitis (basically a rash around your mouth that doesn't go away). After doing a little research on that, it seems there is a connection between POD and sodium laurel sulfate, another ingredient in most toothpastes. My derm. said they had no idea what caused it (and that it certainly wasn't toothpaste) and wanted me to take long course oral antibiotics (no thank you). When I switched to the non-fluoride & sls free toothpaste, my rash went away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts