Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any luck using a white noise CD for getting/keeping baby asleep?

We live on a street that is intermittently very noisy (complete opposite of the constant low-level noise the baby would probably prefer) so we tried tuning the radio to static last night and it did seem to keep ds asleep for longer. But dh hated the sound of it and turned it off when he joined us in bed. So, now I am looking for a CD (preferably something download-able) that might be a little more soothing for all of us. Does anyone have experience with the Babysleep System (http://www.babysleepsystem.com)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
We use humidifiers, here. But, I have to have noise when I sleep too.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
We have two, one for baby and one for our 3 yr old. THe 3 yr old didnt sleep through the night till 3 yrs 2 months when we let her set the noise and volume on her white noise machine at Christmas. She requires a LOUD cricket noise all night long to stay asleep.

As soon as we figured that out, I got a noise machine for baby, and it is set on the sound of rain. Helps keep her asleep for naps for sure, and probably helps at night too.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
We have this white noise machine in the family bedroom. It helps both ds and I sleep. I imagine that I will have to buy another once he moves to his own bed. I considered just getting a CD but we travel fairly often so I can pack this to go with us instead of an entire CD player.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We use a box fan, too. We all sleep well with it running - the only downside is that we have frequent power outages. When the fan goes off, EVERYONE wakes up!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
When DS#1 was a newborn, we used an air purifier. He's an excellent sleeper, and despite living down the street from the all-volunteer fire dept that MUST sound the siren for two minutes to gather everyone if there's an emergency at 4am, and two blocks from an extremely busy train track, he never wakes up. I don't know how this next one will handle all the commotion, but we keep our ceiling fan on most of the time. We lost the air purifier

·
Registered
751 Posts
We have an Ocean Storms cd, purchased at Borders for 3.99. We also use a fan, and I love all the noise. She seems to do well with ti also.

·
Registered
220 Posts
In a moment of desperation, I bought the sleep system with DS and it was a waste of money. Unless you have a nice stereo system with nice speakers, you can't get all the nuances of the heartbeat.

I made DS his own CD. I basically took some music that had the heartbeat sound in the background and blended it together so there was no break in between tracks then I looped it in play mode so it never ended. I turn it off when I do my final check on him before heading off to bed myself. I also have an air purifier set on medium for the constant hum. We lived next to a busy street and a neighbor with yapping dogs so this was a real problem for many months. We ended up spending about $8000 replacing the windows to keep the noise level down and it did help some.

The music CD didn't help with DD so I went to Best Buy and got a clock radio with CD and nature sounds. She likes the ocean waves selection and it's been helping (unless something really loud rumbles by like a fire truck with the sirens going).

Good luck!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trishy
We have this white noise machine in the family bedroom. It helps both ds and I sleep. I imagine that I will have to buy another once he moves to his own bed. I considered just getting a CD but we travel fairly often so I can pack this to go with us instead of an entire CD player.
I don't have a baby, but I have this same noise machine! I've used it for years on the "ocean sounds" setting. It really helps block out annoying noises so I can sleep better. I used to take it with me on trips and stuff, but now if I'm staying at a hotel or something I just keep the AC fan on. I have it set to run for only an hour while I fall asleep, but it can be set to run all night too. There are similar machines available just about anywhere for not that much money - we have one that's almost identical in our camper except that it is also our alarm clock.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
We've always used a small box fan and it works great. I also like that it circulates the air in the room, so it doesn't get stuffy.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
We use the Sound Sleeper from Dex. I think it helps, but she's 4mo now and has had some long naps with no white noise as well. It's mostly because my dh and I go to sleep and get up at different times and it helps keep the noise level in the room constant. She sleeps well through loud noise as long as it is constant.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
For the first four months neither DS would stay asleep without this little box that made the sounds of the womb, LOL It origionally went in a stuffed animal I guess but I bought it 8 years ago at a thrift store for $2, best $2 I ever spent

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I don't have the answers you're looking for, but I just gotta say that white noise has been the biggest blessing ever in life. Not only for dd but for me. I don't know why I didn't think of that pre-dd because I am SUCH a sensitive sleeper. However we do just use the radio tuned between stations, sorry your DH doesn't like it. :\ Back when dd slept more during the day as an infant, when my mom would come over she wouldn't shut up about how annoying that was to her. It sounds like heaven to me...

Good luck!

·
Registered
536 Posts
WE each have a humidifier in our room ( also helps with the dry air here
) It totally helps both my babes sleep and me too

I like the idea of the noise machine though if it is more compact and can pack well.... we went on a 3 day trip in the mts. last month & I packed the humidifier
DS slept though!

we also use black out shades / room darkening they were spendy, but this also makes a huge difference for our child that thinks when the sun is up it is time to get up
: another reason why

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Dh used to use a nature sounds CD to help him sleep. So, today we bought a new CD player that will run on the power here in Europe and will try the CD out on ds tonight. I thought maybe the CDs that are made to mimic the womb or a hearbeat might be better, but it seems like maybe that's a marketing ploy. From all your experiences, sounds like any white noise will work!

·
Registered
836 Posts
We use the fan in the bathroom for our DS right now. It helps because we live in a new construction area and they're building right across the street now. They started right after he was born, so maybe he'll end up being able to sleep through anything.

With DD we used a fan at first (it was hot then) and then got her a white noise CD. We used the rain "song" mostly. It worked really well, but her CD player gave out last year and DH thinks it was from the constant playing of that CD all night long. Who knows?

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
One Step Ahead (.com) sells a great sound machine/white noise machine for $25.00 You can combine sounds, set it on a timer, have it play all night...very flexible. Ds loves it, and it's SO inexpensive compared to the others out there!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts