Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I need to see a psychiatrist to get a definitive yes or no on that? I would think so, but I don't ever seek medical care except for my annual gyno visit.<br>
And is there even a point in my trying to confirm this? Is there anything that can be done about it? I'm about to be 29, and I think I am definitely somewhere on the autism spectrum, but I've gone this long without knowing so what will I really gain except a label?

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
For an adult, psychologist or psychiatrist, or a neurologist (or a combo doc, liek a neuro-psych), could diagnose an Autism Spectrum Disorder. Wether or not you would seek a diagnosis, and treatment, depends on how you're functioning I guess, and what you want. With a diagnosis, you could be eligible for SSI disability payemnts, Medicaid, work training programs, special services, etc. As far as treaements, they can include psychotherapy, behavioral therapy, medications, group therapy, social skills training, etc.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I'm not sure where you live, but if you're in California, you can also see an educational psychologist to get the diagnosis.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks khrisday. social skills training! THAT is something i should have had a long time ago.<br>
i guess it would be nice to say look, there's a reason i don't fit in!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts