Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my ultrasound today, and baby is healthy and growing well. Dh and I were really sure that this baby would be a boy, but no one could tell. Baby has one leg pulled up to its crotch and the other leg crossed over it, the tech tried getting at an angle so that we could see around the legs but baby didn't feel like cooperating. The tech said that she would guess that baby is a girl, but that it was just a guess. I really felt that we are supposed to have a boy, and it just feels kind of wierd not knowing.

who else doesn't know baby's sex???

What things are you going to buy for baby and in what colors? I am really ready to start getting things ready for baby and I don't know where to start.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
We chose not to find out.
We are sticking with colors we like:
Cream, Blues, Reds, Purples, Greens, etc... Vibrant rich colors... as little pastels as possible. (at least that is what I am telling people)

Onsies in neutrals, mostly whites.
Babysacs (I don't know what they are called for real) in whatever color I like.
socks, hats, stretchy pants that will fit over CDs, etc...

I don't want a closet full of pink or trucks and sports.

Girls can wear blue just as well as boys can wear yellow. Since blue is my favoriate color and babies don't care... I'm going with whatever floats my boat.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't know either (see previous post). My first ultrasound revealed a boy; the second showed a possible girl. My doctor told me that I shouldn't paint anything blue or pink just yet.

That's ok...I've had a chance to envision both a boy and a girl, and I'd be happy with either.

Congratulations to everyone!

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Well, this MAY be the last time I can say this, we don't know yet.

We have an u/s (medically called for, btw) this afternoon. Because I lost pg #2 at 21 weeks due to some still unclear cervical failure...we're going in to check on my cervix and get a look at the baby at the same time.

If the baby wants us to know who he/she is, then we'll find out. If not, we'll find out in December, I suppose.

I've been telling baby everyday that it's his/her choice whether to be revealing or secretive.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by katt
I don't want a closet full of pink or trucks and sports.

Girls can wear blue just as well as boys can wear yellow. I'm going with whatever floats my boat.
This is the number one reason we decided not to find out the gender. I HATE the gender norms in our society. I didn't want our kid coming into the world with all of these dumb expectations based on gender. Of course, I'm aware that once they are here people will probably buy us the obligatory pink or blue, but the longer we can put it off the better!

·
Registered
111 Posts
We have also chosen not to find out the gender until Dec. I really like the bright primary colors and all of the animal themes. We are doing a Noah's Ark theme with lots of colors for the nursery. For clothing we are sticking with mainly gender neutral colors. There are so many cute outfits with ducks or frogs or fish etc.

Another benefit of buying gender neutral is that you can use the items for future children, regardless of sex.

If you are supposed to have a boy then I am sure it will be a boy. However, your feelings might change between now and Dec. When you see that beautiful baby I am sure you will think he or she is just perfect for your family.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
We're not finding out! We didn't last time. I like the surprise. Even bigger, I REALLY dislike how once the sex is identified, the all-consuming focus becomes buying the baby "stuff." We try to keep material goods (the inevitable oodles of toys, clothes and other "accessories") to a minimum, and not knowing sex helps.

When I was pregnant with DD, my MIL wanted to buy the unborn child a PATIO SET, and was upset that she couldn't b/c she didn't know if she should buy pink or blue.

·
Registered
891 Posts
We will be finding out upon the babes arrival. Both of our dds were "surprises", in that we didn't find out their gender prior to birth.

I'm in the camp that loathes pastels, the few things we've bought are all bright fun colors.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
We won't find out either and I don't dislike pastels, but I buy neutral themes and colors. I didn't find out with DS either so we have a lot of neutral stuff anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
I don't know mine yet either, but that might change on Tuesday. I like yellows & greens, and other bright colors too. So not knowing would be alright too. Nothing wrong with a baby girl wearing blue, or a boy wearing pink either, or any other colors for that matter!

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
We are waiting to find out too! It is so exciting!

We are decorating with bright colors - mainly orange, red, yellow, and blue-green. A good friend wants to make us something like a blanet but is having a hard time figuring out what to make b/c we don't know the gender!
: It boggles my mind. We won't be following strict gender dressing, anyhow. I don't get why it is so difficult for OTHER people when you don't find out the gender!

It is cool that you have a feeling one way. In the beginning I was sure this is a boy, but now I have no idea!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Good luck. I like buying gender neutral clothing, but it just doesn't exist anymore! Just get some sleeper sacks and jammies...that's all you're going to need in the beginning anyways...and maybe a cute GN outfit or two from Hanna Andersson or one of those nice stores.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
We haven't found out either - not once, and this is baby #3 for us.

·
Registered
273 Posts
JaneyHD said:
We're not finding out! We didn't last time. I like the surprise. Even bigger, I REALLY dislike how once the sex is identified, the all-consuming focus becomes buying the baby "stuff."

me too - don't want to know and don't want others to know. i don't think this baby needs to be born with people already having expectations.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Well, this is number three for us and I just expect it to be another boy... boys are fun. I think we could find out on our ultra sound which isn't for a few more weeks .... with son number 2 I could tell right away that he was a boy!

There are so many other surprises that finding out the sex helps with naming for me... but a little girl would be great!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We aren't planning to find out. If an u/s ends up being medically indicated, then I don't feel strongly about not finding out.

The weird thing is, I have absolutely no intuition about whether the baby is a boy or a girl. It's strange to me that so many people know (or think they do
) because I have no idea. I can barely even wrap my brain around the fact that there is a baby in there, let alone assign gender to him/her.

·
Registered
828 Posts
We're not finding out (until birth). DH and I were both raised very nongendered, and want to do the same with our kiddo. So we'd hate to start off with just "boy" or just "girl" clothes, toys, etc. We're driving some friends nuts, but this way people don't instantly go for everything pink or blue.

Oh, and I have absolutely no intuitive notion of whether this is a boy or girl. This is our first, and my mom says "girl", but DH's family says "boy". I'm just excited to be having a baby!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts