Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else doesn't know if they're having a boy or girl? I'm going back and forth...I can picture either. People say I'm carrying like it's another boy (I'm carrying ALL in the front), but I've never really quite understood why carrying a certain way would indicate one gender or another?
We'll be delighted either way, but I must admit that the suspense is killing me! I'm technically due tomorrow, though DS was born 9 days past my EDD so I don't put too much stock in due dates

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dawn, I love your birth story. Congratulations on your new son!

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
This is #3 for us, and I've never found out. I LOVE finding out for myself after I birth the baby, it is such an amazing feeling. I have two girls, honestly we'd love another one, a boy would be great as well.
I'm getting really excited to learn what the baby is, that and it will make it much easier to narrow down the list of names once we have a gender to work with!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't know!! But, I'm SOO excited to find out!

I keep thinking boy, but maybe just because that is what I had most recently?? This is the first time I didn't find out via ultrasound...

·
Registered
31 Posts
We haven't found out and this is our first baby. It seems so exciting to me not to know the gender - besides with my family and friends, we would have gotten all pink or all blue items for lil bean which is silly to me! Although we do get the "what?" expression every time we say we don't know the gender... as if it's impossible not to these days. Or they ask if I've had any prenatal care at all...?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
We don't know and I don't mind at all- its exciting! People always ask my son if he's having a brother or a sister and he gets to explain that its going to be a surprise. People think its totally weird. And I HATE gendered stuff for babies/kids, so I am just so happy to avoid it ahead of time (I'm sure I'll get some afterwards, oh well. I can return it or, at least if I have a girl I plan to mix up some big vats of dye and turn the pepto-bismal pink into eggplant and maroon...)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I already had mine, but didn't find out until the birth. It really wasn't the grand suprise I thought it would be but then my intuition was convinced that I was having a boy since very early on in the pregnancy. Seeing what was between his legs at the birth was on the same level as seeing that he had 10 fingers and 10 toes
Now if he had been a girl, that would have been suprising

ITA though, people do get really annoying when you tell them you aren't finding out the gender ahead of time. Even up until the day before I went into labor, I still had coworkers asking if I was going to find out. I'd already waited 38.5 weeks, what's a few more days? Then there were people like my grandmother, who were dead convinced that we'd found out the gender and just weren't telling anyone out of spite

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
We don't know either, but I'm convinced it's a girl.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by secondimpression View Post
Then there were people like my grandmother, who were dead convinced that we'd found out the gender and just weren't telling anyone out of spite

Yup. I totally understand! People can't even believe we didn't have an ultrasound with this pregnancy! It seems so common for people to ask "Are you having a boy or a girl?" When I tell them we didn't find out they ask "Oh. You don't WANT to know?" and it's like they're completely baffled!

Umm...yes, I do want to know, but we're going to be patient because we like surprises, LOL. As if not finding out your child's gender ahead of time is a crime or something!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
We have a surprise on the way, too - again. The same family members who badgered us before are at it again. This time we didn't have an u/s at all, and people don't get that either.

Also, people who asked earlier in the pregnancy are asking again now: "Did you find out yet?" A surprise means we find out at the birth ...

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post
We have a surprise on the way, too - again. The same family members who badgered us before are at it again. This time we didn't have an u/s at all, and people don't get that either.

Yeah, the whole not getting an u/s part REALLY throws people.
I always have had positive comments about not finding it, even people that would never do it themselves tell me "good for you", and usually older people love that I don't know.

·
Registered
250 Posts
We don't know either and, well, I guess we're lucky as the only reactions we've had were "Ooh, a surprise, that's great !", "I didn't want to find out either", etc. The only friends who were not that happy about it were the one who would have wanted to buy gendered stuff for the baby and, no thanks, I don't want that kind of stuff

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peony View Post
I always have had positive comments about not finding it, even people that would never do it themselves tell me "good for you", and usually older people love that I don't know.
DP's grandparents and aunt love surprises. FIL prefers to be surprised, too. We found out our first dd's gender and FIL asked not to be told. Step-MIL had to know, though, and she told him at my baby shower.

During our last pregnancy, she was convinced we were just hiding it from her. She saw a boy outfit I had bought for a friend's baby and she was sure we were having a boy for the rest of my last pregnancy. So funny that dd#2 was a girl.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.