Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't feel them as much when sitting now, but when moving around I have one Braxton-Hicks after another. It's annoying to know that I still have months left to deal with these. They hurt sometimes, but are mainly just uncomfortable and make me have to pee every more then I already do.
So who else?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I'm basically a giant walking contraction. I finally told my OB that I wasn't going in just for my usual contractions anymore and he shrugged and said, "Okay." Apparently they'll get more painful at some point, but right now they just annoy me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Me..Me..Me! I am a BH champ! ALthough I have my lingo regarding them. Now i say "I am practicing" instead of "Urgh, I am having *another* contraction". And I try to imagine that all this practicing I am doing is only making my uterus that much more effective to push this baby out! But, I hear you... they can be annoying. Espically when I am out at the store walking around and get one. I am sure I look hilarious, waddling, breathing slow, etc! Yeah, and when I pee..ouch! Sometimes I can't get up off the toilet for a minute or two! Keep practicing!

·
Registered
762 Posts
here too! Mostly at night though. Like when i try and lay down. Which SHOULD make them go away, it make sthem worse. Or if i start to get dehydrated. Then i get them crazy! It's jsut a small hope that I have that this means that the baby will get to decide when he is born. Rather than being induced again. I hope that he comes a few days early or right on time. So that way I can experience going into natural labor and avoid the major swelling that happens to me at the end.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had tones with DS1 and they started even earlier this time, I have then ALL the time, we live in Vegas, it is majorly hot so it gets extra bad when I don't drink enough,
the other day my friend was over and I had a strong one, I am so use to it that I just slide down in my chair and was practicing breathing it away, MY friend looked over at me and Freaked out, the look on her face was classic, she thought I was going into labour or something, I had to ask her what was wrong, and she was like Are you OK,
It was very funny!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Me!
Mainly when I go for my morning walks, I get them about 10 minutes into the walk. They get so painful that I have to stop and take a breather....always on the right side. I also find that if I'm not drinking enough water, I tend to get them when I get up from a seated or lying down poition.

So take comfort in the fact that you're not alone!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Me, me, me! I was actually scared yesterday and called mt MW, because I was having tons of BH along with alot of pressure. She said that my yeast infuction could be the cause of the pressure, and to dring 3 liters of water and lay down. Do you know how much water 3 liters is? I was in the bathroom all day, lol.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
With Kai i had them a ton starting at 31 weeks however once i drank a gallon of water a day they subsided and I had a TON to where we were actually timing them.

michele

·
Registered
476 Posts
Me too! I have been dealing with them for about a month now and they seem to be getting worse and more frequent...glad to hear that I'm not the only one...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think my middle name should be Braxton Hicks! I have tons and tons. Still have 12 weeks to go, so hopefully baby will stay in and no bedrest this time!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yep. I'm getting TONS too. Mainly clusters. Often at night when I'm lying down or trying to sleep. But during the day too. Walking around is often difficult. They are worse if my bladder is full. I am glad to hear others are getting similar patterns and having similar experiences. I am taking calcium-magnesium every night now and I swear it really helps.

I keep telling myself too that it is good preparation for labor. DH thinks this babe is just going to shoot out of me since my uterus is going to be so strong from all the "practice." I sort of hope it is true. At least I know that my uterus still knows how to contract -- no doubt about that!

I was reading in my hypnobirthing book the other day about how there are actually three layers of muscles in the uterus and how they work. Pretty interesting stuff. I try to picture it sometimes but it is hard to visualize really. I do often feel them from the bottom starting and then working upwards. When I get a good strong one and DH and I can really feel how taught my belly is from the outside, we call it "lock down." I think it is good protection too from this new babe's older sister. When she comes running towards me sometimes, I swear I get one, so he can be protected from her antics. I do wonder however if they are uncomfortable for him in there. I wonder if he feels "squeezed." Nothing I can do about it of course, but I want to picture him all happy and comfortable in there, not being compressed.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yesterday morning I got about 8 in one hour. I called my midwife and she said that 8 was too many. So she just started me on Magnesium Glycinate. I have been taking a cal/mag suppliment but she wanted me to be taking more. About 1000mg a day total. Hopefully it slows them down a bit.

OMama, mine seem just like yours. More at night and when lying down, walking is difficult sometimes, full bladder triggers. So comforting to know I am not alone. I usually only feel mine at the top of my uterus. My husband calls it "the cliff" when it happens because you can really feel the drop off. Crazy!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I suppose I would know a BH if I felt it? (Or a "real' contraction?)

I keep reading about them (this is my first) but ... I've had nothing so far that resembles what I've read, just a mild sharp cramp every now and then if I move the wrong way too quickly, like when turning over in bed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Carmen, it's really common to not have any noticable contractions until labor. Most people only have a few. If you notice a funny tight feeling, feel your belly with your hands and if it's tight and hard, that's a contraction. You may not notice any for a few more weeks at least! And then even once a day is normal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh, and the sharp cramp if you get up too fast or roll over is the round ligaments that hold up the uterus. They stretch a lot during pg and if you move too fast/ sneeze or whatever, they can hurt!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Here's what I have been told about identifying contractions. A resting uterus feesl like the tip of your nose. Soft and slightly spongy. You can poke it and it gives way. A contracting uterus feels like the tip of your chin. It is firm, hard even, and it will not give when you poke it.

As for slowing them down or identifying signs of preterm labor, this is the protocol I was given:

1) Empty your bladder- a full bladder stimulates contractions
2)Drink 3 glasses of water-dehydration causes contractions
3)Lay down on your left side and rest

Of course after you follow number 2 you will be back to number one very shortly and unable to complete number 3.

If you have more than 5 an hour call your Doc/MW. If they increase in intensity or the pain radiates to your lower back, call your Doc/MW. If they feel like menstrual cramps, call your Doc/MW. I HTH the new mamas who had contraction questions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts