Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need 4 names that I feel sure about (first & middle for a boy, first and middle for a girl ) and I'm not there yet.

Is anyone else also not totally set with names?

I think if we have a boy the first name is set (sounds like "Guy" but starting with a hard k) but I want River for a middle and it's way too " out there" for DH. I thought about maybe Nicholas but it's kind of dated maybe? I would love something non-traditional and special for the middle and definitely something that clearly indicates his English speaking heritage since the first and last are clearly local to this country.

If it's a girl, I think we have a first name (sounds like Kira but starts with an M) but I'm not sure I *love* it and it has an r which in this country gets rolled and of course does not in English. Isabelle for the middle. I wish I could think of another name I loved more for the first that DH would get on board with. It must be pretty short for him. I love Luna, Jade, Sky, Lily... But he thinks Luna sounds like lunatic and the other two don't really work in the mouth when speaking the local language. Most names don't unless they have the right vowels that are pronounced the same in both languages and don't have any Rs or Js.
Maybe I'll push him to agree with Luna right after birth when he feels sorry for me! :) hahaha

·
Registered
547 Posts
We're not set yet either! We have two names that we like (we know that it's a girl) but we can't agree so I think we're waiting until after she's born to make a final decision.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
We're set on the first name (though I very occasionally wonder if this child will constantly have to tell people how to pronounce it and maybe I should think of something else...) but the middle name is still up in the air. DH made a suggestion - Hiedra - which is Spanish for ivy (or, Hedera, the Latin for ivy) and it's pronounced ee-ed-dra (rolling the r after the d.) It sounds beautiful in Spanish and we can all roll our Rs, but the rest of this country can't so it'll sound like ee-ed-ra which I think sounds silly and flat. But then I think, it's JUST a middle name and who's going to hear it? But it is also a HUGE mouthful combined with the first name and even bigger when you add the last name. IMO, the middle name needs to be one syllable after a two syllable first name and three syllable last name.

@Serafina33 , Sky or Skye is the middle name I've had picked out since we found out this babe was a girl but I just found out that the lady across the street used it for her baby's middle name and I suddenly feel like I have to scramble to find something else because I worry that it's super common right now. We'll see....

·
Registered
189 Posts
We have had a name picked for a long time....but I still question it sometimes! The few people we have told (parents primarily) call him by name, but for some reason I still hesitate. I don't know if its because we are trying to keep it a secret? or if its because I'm really not sure about the name!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Forget 100% set - we are not even 2% set!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
. IMO, the middle name needs to be one syllable after a two syllable first name and three syllable last name. ....
I chose a 9 letter 3 syllable name for my daughter who has a two syllable first name and 3 syllable last name. I think it sounds beautiful and far less of a mouthful than having two middle name which is so the trend at least in my family and with most people I know locally.

·
Registered
583 Posts
aaack! we don't have a name yet, much less 2 or 4!!! I just went back through our list and I think we need to add to the list. I keep asking baby to weigh in here but I am getting NOTHING! the nerve of this baby to be so silent on this very important issue!!!! That and DH keeps saying, yes. It isn't helpful!

That and we do need to come up with something for both boy and girl- oy vey! So funny to come this far and still not have a name! I always would wait until after meeting the little on but still, I want to have it narrowed down-!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I chose a 9 letter 3 syllable name for my daughter who has a two syllable first name and 3 syllable last name. I think it sounds beautiful and far less of a mouthful than having two middle name which is so the trend at least in my family and with most people I know locally.
I meant for us, personally, with our first/last names, not as a general rule.

aaack! we don't have a name yet, much less 2 or 4!!! I just went back through our list and I think we need to add to the list. I keep asking baby to weigh in here but I am getting NOTHING! the nerve of this baby to be so silent on this very important issue!!!! That and DH keeps saying, yes. It isn't helpful!

That and we do need to come up with something for both boy and girl- oy vey! So funny to come this far and still not have a name! I always would wait until after meeting the little on but still, I want to have it narrowed down-!
I want to hear your lists after you name baby. :)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
@Serafina33 - I just realized you meant four names total. For some reason I was thinking you wanted four sets of names for each gender! And that just seemed like a lot. No wonder you weren't decided yet.

I had absolutely no names except the one I wanted. One day my husband randomly okayed the name. Had he not, I have no idea what we would have done.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh this is hopeless trying to come up with a different girls 1st name!
DH is still not loving Luna. Such a dumb reason, because it reminds him of the word lunatic. He would get over that so quickly if it were his baby's name and no one else would think of that. Its so obviously referring to the moon! Argggggghh.

I think I'm going to go with Lily for the middle name though, assuming the first name ends in a (and our last name ends in -nen; I want the three names to have different endings).

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
We have a cat named Luna (we named out kitties after Harry Potter characters) and even though it's a lovely name and I love the reference to the moon, I'd always think of Loony Lovegood and I know the kids would end up saying that - which really isn't a big deal. Sounds like your DH isn't going to budge, eh?

·
Registered
583 Posts
@Seraphina, I love the name Luna. I am trying to think of the longer names that I have seen that shorten to Luna as the name mainly used. I think Lucina and Lucinda and well, I cannot remember the one that I am thinking of right now. Maybe your Dh would like one of the longer names and then you can shorten it later for a nick name?

I wouldn't have thought of Harry Potter. I always think of all the other awesome little girls I have loved that are also called Luna. Good luck and hang in there! You are so close, despite how it feels at times! I too feel so exited for you to have this baby and move into the next phase of your life!! It sounds like you have all the support set up and it is so lovely that your boys and mom are there with you too. Hugs mama!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Wild Rose!
It is nice having all 6 of us (the 5 people I love most in the world with me!) here at home on this rainy weekend and in general this month. Only thing to improve it would be if it were 7 of us!
As for the name, he hates all names longer than two syllables so lengthening it wouldn't help! :) that's why I'm searching only amongst short, simple names, because longer, "fancier" names will for sure get vetoed. Blah for opposing naming styles!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I have a friend with a daughter named 'Lucia' - pronounced Loo-sha...not sure how that would sound where you are...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, pronunciations rules in the local language rule out 98% of names for us, if I want them to sound quite the same in both languages (something I really enjoy about my DD's name ). Luna is one of those super rare names that work in both languages and sound exactly the same and one I love. But I can't get him on board so Kira with an M it seems to be. Which I like! But don't love as much as I want. Then again that's how I felt with my daughter two years ago. It grew on me.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
We are barely 25% set on names for either sex! We thought we had them picked out right around the midway point of the pregnancy but have since scrapped both! We do have short lists though so I guess we'll just spend a little time with this tiny human and see what we feel. :love We do have our middle names though: Alexander for a boy and Faith for a girl.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Anyone feel like listing sweet girl names with one syllable? Maybe a few two-syllable names? I'm partial to nature-y names but not as a rule. I need to settle this little girl's middle name!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts