Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the "should I or shouldn't I" buy it mode? Although DS is only 15 months, I think he could use this (manufacturer says 2 and up though) He always wants to be up high where I am and see what is going on. We try the backpack, but he wants to get out and touch things. So, that is where the learning tower comes in I guess. Have any of you used in toddlers less than two? Is it super clunky? I am looking to buy one on ebay, but don't think I can wait that long. I really want one. I guess I am just looking for some validation. Let me know what you think of yours to help me make my decision (or at least feel good about it!)
Elle

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
*Best Money We Ever Spent*

We got it when dc was around your ds's age. We use it all day every day. She's almost 3 and can cook real food with supervision. She's always been happiest involved in what's going on.

I am so, shall we say, frugal that it was very wierd to fork over that money. I'm so glad we didn't put it off.

*Best Money We Ever Spent*

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is really great news! I think DH might flip over the price, but I feel like since so many mommas think it is worth it, then I can justify it. Where did you buy yours? I am trying to wait for a good deal on ebay, but if I can't I would love to know where to find the best price on one. Let me know if you remember.
Thanks for replying and letting me know about your experience with it.
Elle

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
We love
ours!

I was also debating whether or not to get one... I think I bought one when DS was 2.5 years old.

I got it from Littlepartners.com, the actual lady who designed it originally. They charge $159.95. I feel that's reasonable. For some crazy reason, I thought it was $250, and that's what kept me away. But I was wishing and wishing for it.

I have a no
TV rule, but I still need to cook, so having him climb a chair is a way to keep him engaged/occupied. But of course, I never liked the chair. The LT is so much safer.

It's the best thing we've purchased. He's 3.5 years old and we use it daily.

The most important safety thing IMO is just knowing the difference between hot and cold. I used to let my 2.5 yr old (maybe even earlier) at the stove with me scrambling eggs. He knew from a very early age the difference, so I said, "don't touch the pan, it's hot..." and he never did.

A simple way to teach the difference is to have hot and cold water running.

Dh
makes Saturday morning pancakes
and they do that together. Very cute. Dh loves the LT too. He always scolded me about using the chair (but I felt I had to.) Now DS is strong enough to push it around the kitchen to where he wants it and then he climbs up... always with me though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
DD stands on a stepstool (2 steps up and handrails) that I got a Target for $20. She's been on it since 18 months or so I think and always uses it to help me cook, etc. She loves it and doesn't fall off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
the first time I saw one was at amontessori products show i did not have children and thought nice. once i had my child i new i need it but with one income was hard so i did as i could a chair or a stool but to this day i worry of his safety. he is a graet help in the kitchen and cleaning mirros. so for safety go ahead an get it.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by z-girl
DD stands on a stepstool (2 steps up and handrails) that I got a Target for $20. She's been on it since 18 months or so I think and always uses it to help me cook, etc. She loves it and doesn't fall off.
I agree. My friend uses the same thing. It has rubber ends at the legs. However, my wooden chairs would just slide off the tile (not a very safe, stable thing to stand on.) It never occurred to me to use the stepstool. If you have limited funds, that's fine.... but if you can splurge on the LT, go for it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, that is it, I have to have the tower! Now the real question is do I wait for ebay or just splurge and get it. Thanks for the link to Little Partners. I will check it out ASAP. I really appreciate everyone's input and the step stool idea is a good option, especially while at grandma's house.
Elaine

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hi, I don't know if you'll see this or not, but I just got one from Organic Bebe online. I think it was $147, and FREE SHIPPING. Best price I found online. Hope you like yours!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I ordered one and it ws defective, so the guy said they will ship another one, when it did not come I called back and he said they don't have any left for several weeks of the wooden one, but they have one made of plyboard for $70.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where is the plyboard one being sold? Online or at a brick and mortar store? I could definitely consider that since the price is so good. Let me know. Also, the organic bebe price is the best one I have heard of also. Thanks for passing that along. Now, do I wait for ebay, get the plyboard, get the one from Organic bebe? Decisions, decisions??
Elaine

·
Registered
160 Posts
Go to Guidecraft.com, look for the number (can not find it right now) and ask for the plywood version. Looks almost the same as the other and it is great! We put it together last night and me son was on it for hours this morning helping me bake bread, wash dishes etc.
Have fun!

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
AWESOME

We got it around that age and it's still used constantly at 30 mos. My 10 mos old now shares the space if I stand next to that side.

SOOO worth the $. Very sturdy jungle gym + he's involved in everything in the kitchen AND can wash his own hands.

So, next thing for you to ponder is the Stokke chair. :LOL

ps; just read your plyboard question. i'd stay away from it . you want something rock solid. i bought from organic bebe. good price and s hipping. good co.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
T What is the Stokke chair?

And just wanted to add, that I have a 16 month old and although it says for ages 2 and up, we already use the LT quite a bit; ds will play at the sink or with bowls and kitchen utensils while I cook. I love slinging him still but honestly it gets tiring trying to cook dinner EVERY NIGHT with a 25 pound toddler on your hip trying to grab things
. Anyway, it is super sturdy, safe, and we love ours.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Wish I could paste in a picture.
It's an ergonomically correct wooden chair they can use from highchair age to adult. We use it w/our 10 mos. old. You just buckle them in and they eat off the table. You adjust the foot rest as they grow.
Expensive!!!! but well worth it.
Made in Holland, seem to all be around $200.

Just google Stokke Kinderzeat.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
T Stokke, yeah we have one too and we love it. I had been eyeing it for months... then we visited my SIL. She has a developmentally delayed DS (5) and they had one. DH
was admiring it and suggested that we get one.

Though I later learned there is a cheaper USA made knock-off.

Anyway, our Stokke chair is a cool red color.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Thanks for the info on the chairs. These look great, and the timing is perfect as my son now insists on sitting in a big chair for meals. I really didn't want to buy one of those plastic booster seats. If anyone is interested, I found the Kinderzeat at FAO Schwarz online for 119.00--only in the natural color, plus shipping, but I'm still saving $50 --woohoo! Thanks, guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.