Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, short version of the long story: ds was cd'ed in diaper service cpfs from birth to about 5 mo, when I switched to mostly FBs, then I stopped cd'ing at 9 mo (long story, no need to go into it here) and sold off my entire stash.

Now he is 12 mo and I am feeling very bad about that decision and want to go back to CD. It has to be with a diaper service tho, because laundry is really a problem for me. So that means prefolds.

So my question is HOW do you get prefolds on a toddler? It's a wrestling match just to get a sposie on him. I cannot imagine getting a PF on him. Is there some secret trick that I'm not aware of?

The other thing that's holding me back is that I have a sitter 3 days a week while I'm at school. She's awesome and I really try hard to make her job as easy as possible. I feel like prefolds are so tricky, it may be a lot to ask. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Banned
404 Posts
Well I don't have complete experience in this as ds is only 6 months and dd we didn't start cd'ing until she was 2. However ds is very wriggly already and not real fond of diaper changes. It's a bit of a battle I admit and I don't use prefolds exclusively. I usually reserve a few special toys or forbidden objects for the diaper changing times. Other times I just grin and bear it and figure women for centuries have been doing this succesfully. I have gotten a lot faster pinning than I used to be and actually prefer it to the snappi. I know this isn't a lot of help but
for getting back to cloth diapering!

As for the sitter you could have her just trifold the prefold in the cover and put it on if you were using aplix. Or buy extra covers and have them all ready for her with prefolds pre-stuffed. Like an all in one with out the cost. HTH.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I lay the prefold in the cover and put it under him and then fold it up around him and snap the cover (no pins or snappis) It's just as fast as doing any other diaper for me. Actually it's faster than snaping a fitted and then a cover.

I do all sorts of distraction techniques, games, talking, singing too.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
DD is 13 months and it is a huge wrestling match over here too. I find that if I give her something to hold in her hands (such as a mini board book or a little toy), then that'll keep her entertained for a few minutes/seconds and she'll keep still while I get the diaper on her. I've also given up on the snappi mainly, and find it much eaiser to fold the diaper in half, then in half again and lie it in the cover and do the cover up. It also increases the absorbancy to have it folded that way too.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
There are ways.......here is what I do
1. sing a funny funny song in "voices" make them laugh
2. pretend to talk to a toy about "what a BIG boy Joshua is" and explain the diaper change
3. bribe them with a snack :LOL
4. books
5. tickle
The voices work great, Joshua probably thinks I am insane but if I get him giggling it is hard for him to perfectly execute the "alligator death roll"
:LOL

·
Registered
401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kindmomma
but if I get him giggling it is hard for him to perfectly execute the "alligator death roll"
:LOL
Now you've coined the perfect phrase for that funny trick that she does that thwarts me perfectly and thoroughly!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Oh there are different names for the different levels of the "ADR"
"the rabit aliigator deathroll" The one where they pffffffttttt and spit

"the howling banshee alligator deathroll" the high pitched ear peircing yelp

"The poop alligator death roll" this one is accompanied with input by mom "honey no OH GROSS, STOP, EWwwwwwwwwww"

"the thrashing demon alligator death roll" the roll accompanied with shoulders stationary but bottom half going up and down

"the kicking alligator death roll" this one is the worst expecially if you are Preggo, a kick in the gut or the face is no fun

"the sneaky alligator deathroll" the one where they seem fine and happy and then BANG

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Ds is 23 months and we've made it this far with pfs. I gave up on special folds and snappies long ago. Trifold, lay in an aplix cover and get that cover together quickly. Forbidden objects, funny faces, and little books for him to read help.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I honestly have a lot easier time changing him with cloth than I did with sposies. Even hubby notices, as he's home for a couple of the evening prefold changes, and the switch into a sposie at night.. Jasper will giggle and run no matter which diaper I pull out, but once I grab him and lay him down for the prefolds, he's pretty good. For a sposie.. it just about TAKES the two of us to keep that one small boy still enough to slap that thing on his butt. :LOL I honestly think he just likes feeling naked, and a snappi'd prefold feels closer to naked than a sposie. BUT if he's being particularly cantankerous.. a sippycup or a snack or a small otherwise-not-allowed object is a great distraction.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I do a bikini twisted PF snappied on, and do a combo of the above. Singing songs helps, often finishing by holding him down.

If you are not big on the coverless thing, then I would say trifold in an aplix wrap is the way to go.

Good luck!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I started CD'ing when DS was 14 months, DS is now 16 months. As far as CD's go, I have ONLY used CPF's, so it's really all I know. I have a couple contoureds from ecobaby, but I find the cpf's with a snappi so much easier than finding the right snap settings!

It's not always the easiest, but it is do-able. I do either the bikini twist or the normal "newspaper" fold, and I don't have much problem at all. It goes so quickly- quicker to me than a disposable or a fitted diaper.

Like most of the PP have said, sing, make faces- talk about what a big boy he is, etc.
We have a special dog, that is "diaper dog" who is wearing his own cloth diaper made by me (don't laugh!) so whenever it's time for a diape change, I say: Let's go change your diaper and play with diaper dog. He is pretty distracted with diaper dog, and it's a special thing every time b/c he only sees it during changes.

Once you get the hang of it again it will go so fast, you'll be thrilled. I even use PUL pull up covers.
You can do it! Good luck to you!!

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Pocket diapers like Fuzzibunz might be good. You can stuff them with prefolds. I just use BUmmis Super Whisper Wrap covers and get them on somehow and then tuck the prefold in where it fell out of hte cover.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I say trifold!!! My DS used to put up such a fight during diaper changes (is just now at 2 1/2 getting a little better for Mommy!) that there is NO WAY I could have folded and fastened (with pins or snappi) on him!

The only way......trifold! Lay the diaper in the wrap and put it on like a 'sposie! I think it's the easiest option.

Good Luck w/ getting back in cloth!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
OMG, I am dying! I use eclusively PFs on my VERY active, vocal toddler, and we just make it work! It's all I have, what else am I going to use, lol? We snappi mostly, but I am learning pins. We never trifold, he poops way too often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kindmomma
Oh there are different names for the different levels of the "ADR"
"the rabit aliigator deathroll" The one where they pffffffttttt and spit

"the howling banshee alligator deathroll" the high pitched ear peircing yelp

"The poop alligator death roll" this one is accompanied with input by mom "honey no OH GROSS, STOP, EWwwwwwwwwww"

"the thrashing demon alligator death roll" the roll accompanied with shoulders stationary but bottom half going up and down

"the kicking alligator death roll" this one is the worst expecially if you are Preggo, a kick in the gut or the face is no fun

"the sneaky alligator deathroll" the one where they seem fine and happy and then BANG

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.