Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking to see if DH and I are freaks or not. We don't seem to have gotten anywhere with names, even though we did actually find out it's a girl from some U/S we needed to get. People keep asking me what the baby's name will be, and I feel like such a loser when I tell them we haven't "gotten around to it yet." We both haven't had anything strike us as a "good" name for this kiddo, nor have we spent much time on it.

Do most people pick names (one if you did find out the gender, or two if you didn't) BEFORE the third trimester?

·
Registered
298 Posts
ME. oh man, we got nothing.
We even borrowed a fancy baby name book from a friend and went through it... Between the two of us we hated ALL the names.
We're going to be the cautionary tale people - you know the one - "they never came up with a name for the baby so the government named the baby John Doe"

·
Registered
122 Posts
We are in the opposite situation. We had a name picked by the time that we told everyone we were expecting again. After we had the ultrasound, we started referring to him by that name. However, we have recently reconsidered due to the fact we have since heard this name being used for a girl also. (we didn't want a half girl/half boy name) Ugh. We have come up with a potential new name, but now it feels weird to refer to him as anything but the first name. And his older siblings still call him by the first name. So to make a long story short---I almost wish we hadn't starting picking out names yet!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
DH and I have been having a hard time, too. I feel like we already have the "perfect" name for DS, KWIM? (And even that, I don't think we agreed upon his name until maybe a few weeks before his birth.) This time around, we didn't find out the gender, so we are doubly stuck!

BTW, I don't think you should feel like a loser when you don't have an answer to people's questions about having a name picked out. In fact, even when you do settle on one, I think you should continue to say, "We haven't gotten around to it yet." Invariably, people will have all sorts of opinions (usually negative) about the name you've picked out, and it sucks to have to defend yourself even before the baby is born! I made the mistake of telling my dad about a name DH and I were considering, and he made all sorts of negative comments about it, so now we've thrown that name out the window because it's become "tainted" with negative associations. Learned from my mistake and won't be doing that again!

·
Registered
789 Posts
We had our other kids names picked out before the U/S. So really early on. This time we did not find out the sex, and we have a few names that are being tossed around, but nothing is clicking. None of the names either of us has suggested really feels right to me for some reason
Which is very irritating considering I knew my other names before I knew if they were a boy or a girl... Oh well. People look at me like I am nuts when I tell them I dont know. I mean, we have another 3-4 months...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Our last baby didn't have a name until the morning after she was born. In fact, no one but the midwives knew the baby had been born until the next morning (she was born just after midnight and we called people around 11 the next morning) because we knew they would want to know what her name was and we didn't have one.

This time we have a girl's name that we happened upon and both thought was perfect, but we haven't gotten anywhere on a boy's name... I'd like to come up with one, but we won't tell people what names we've picked anyway, so it is just for us that I want to settle on one.

·
Registered
756 Posts
We have never been completely settled on a name by the time of birth. With #1, we had a boy name and two possible girl names (was a girl). With #2 and #3, twins, we had one boy name, no girl names (was two boys). With #4, we had a list of possible names, picked one the day after delivery (another boy). With #5, we were recycling names from old list from #4, and couldn't decide between two of them until we had to hand in the paper for the birth certificate when we were checking out of the hospital (another boy).

I have given exactly zero thought to names so far this time around. I'm sure I'll be flipping through the book in my hospital bed. This is another suprise gender, we have never found out ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
We haven't really thought about names too seriously yet, though I think we are settled on a girl name, it was dh's favorite for years. The first name anyway, no idea on a middle. Boy names I am completely stumped. I think maybe I'll get a book and start looking into it seriously after the semester is over. Until then, I just don't have the mental energy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No names really perking our ears up either.

I love the story my midwife tells about her last baby. Whenever anyone asked what his name was after his birth, she would reply Gene Eric. After cooing over the cute name, she would clear her throat and point out that she had just really said Generic. It took them 6 weeks to come up with a name. That always makes me feel a little better.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
We don't pick out names until AFTER the baby is born.
It is not a conviction - it just does not work for us.
We thought of a name for our first, but we dropped it as soon as we saw her because it did not suit her.
Only my 3rd had a name before which we kept and suits him perfectly.

I think it takes us up to 2 weeks to think of something after meetingnthe baby. It is so helpful getting to know the baby first.
It sucks that in the US people gave us so much grief about it, some were actually horrified we were calling our 4th child, who was born there, "baby" the first week. Luckily he was not born in a hospital, otherwise they would not have allowed us to leave without a name!

·
Registered
398 Posts
We have a first and middle girl's name but I keep changing my name about which is which. For a boy, we are having a really really hard time and we have honestly stopped talking about it lately because it stresses me out. I am convinced it is going to be a boy, and he is going to end up naming himself when it's time for kindergarten because we will never be able to think of a name.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
We have nothing! And we're not really trying. DS2 was nameless for 8 days I think after he was born. Nothing is really jumping out at me. And we don't know if it's a boy or girl yet so that doesn't help.

·
Registered
918 Posts
We each have a list of names we like, but neither of us are wild about the names on the other's list. I think we are each going to pick our favorite 2 names and go to the hospital with 4 names and decide then. I'm just hoping that DH learns to like my choices because we are NOT naming our son Cruz, Lem, or Niven.

·
Registered
575 Posts
DH and I always disagree whenever we talk about names. I am always the one coming up with the names and he is always the one telling me no! I'm sure once we get really close we will have some more ideas lined up, but it's so hard for me to pick out names before I even see the baby!
I don't feel so bad, my friend had a baby girl about 4 months ago and they didn't have a name for an entire week!

·
Registered
976 Posts
No names here yet, and we dont know the sex either. Our pets usually take days to name, so I'm guessing this babe will have to make their debut before we settle on a name. Besides, we are not telling anyone until the birth certificate is signed because family can be so inconsiderate.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Our baby doesn't have any names yet. We have a possible boy name, but I'm not sold on it yet. We had picked our first and second babies' names by this point, but I think the others were nearer to the end. I would love to talk about it a bit more, but I am not worried. We have never had a problem figuring it out, and the names we have chosen for our children so far have been just right. It's a big decision!

Even if we would have chosen already, we wouldn't tell others, it is very special to keep to ourselves until we meet our little one. Plus, we won't be finding out the gender until we meet him or her, so we really won't know until then.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We haven't started yet. I am probably most intimidated by the prospect of naming my child before we meet him or her. The goal is to have 2-3 names for each gender agreed upon by the time of the birth and hopefully one will fit when we all meet.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The name thing has been much harder this time around... I think I have a boy first name, but it's very possible I'll change my mind. I'm really struggling with girl names.

Last time around, I didn't settle on names until the third trimester, and I think things will become clearer during the third trimester again. I tend to perform better under time pressure.

Kristin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.