Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD's grandparents seemt to think he was great, and were talking about another guy too, that they thought was totally amazing.

Who's heard of/ remembers RAffy?

I try to be really careful about what dd's sees/hears/watches/absorbs etc, and so many kids videos with an adult doing singalong etc just rub me the wrong way. I dont want any subtle brainwashing going on, yk?

Times have changes, I'm presuming Raffy was big about 20 years ago? Maybe on 10-15, I really dont knw, but if you could fill me in would be great!!

TIA

·
Registered
119 Posts
Oh my goodness! I love Raffi! My children love Raffi from my 10 year old down to my 18 month old! (I have 4 children)

He's been around for years and his songs are so down to earth and some are silly but not stupid silly kwim? LOL He is an advocate for nature and organic and that I really love!

He's also for peace, love and family and that makes him my #1 choice of music for my children to listen too!

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
We are on our second Raffi VHS tape. Abi wore out the first one, which she inherited from my aunt. Get "A Young Children's Concert" if you are going to get the DVD (which they have now, vs. VHS). The camera doesn't move very fast so you get the effect of being there and it's not too busy for young eyes to watch. The music CD's are nice but the movie concerts are better because he does the hand motions and you can see the kids in the audience dancing and playing along.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm too old to have experienced Raffi as a child, and I am loving Baby Beluga. Fortunately, Bleuet does, too! We definitely plan on getting more Raffi CDs for Christmas. Kid music that (most) adults do not hate = a beautiful thing. It's not syrupy at all. Mr. Bleu has admitted he sings Baby Beluga to himself (subvocally!) at work.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
If you like Raffi, check out Peter, Paul, and Mary's "Campfire Songs" album.
More music that everyone can enjoy together.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I have also heard that Raffi is an advocate for AP/NFL. His songs are innocent, sweet, and has some that are gentle activist songs (protecting the environment and such). Unless the music drives you nuts, the ideas and philosphies of the song would be very in line with most of the people here.

I was also too old to have heard of Raffi until after being a parent. I have the "young children's concert" along with two other concerts on one DVD. It is gentle and sweet and great for kids. Basically a guy sitting on a stool on a stage playing guitar. Not flashy at all.

My dh plays piano and guitar so we also got a songbook from him and he has begun to learn some of the songs, much to my son's delight.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Listening to Raffi on the recored player is one of my favourite memories of being a kid. My best friend knew all the words to baby beluga and I was so jealous. Now I sing it to my dd. Some of the songs are really good. 'Thanks a lot', and 'all I really need' are really great.

i should put that on our christmas list...

g.

·
Registered
138 Posts
the music therapist at the grade school where my husband teaches has also turned us on to a Woody/Arlo Guthrie CD. Very similar to Raffi and fun. I've actually been listening to it in the car long after I've dropped my son off at DC in the morning.

This Land Is Your Land: An All American Children's Folk Classic
Arlo Guthrie, Woody Guthrie

You can hear previews if you look it up on Amazon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My brother is 18, and when he was a toddler he LOVED Raffi. I mean my mom was not allowed to get out of the driveway without turning on a Raffi tape

We haven't introduced dd to it yet, mostly because I know from experience how the songs sort of get in your head...let's just say I can still recite most of the verses to "Down by the Bay"...and my bro is a freshman at CU-Boulder (!!). But there is certainly nothing offensive about the music/lyrics--a big focus on nature, health (I recall a song about brushing your teeth
), and general silliness.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
OMG! I love Raffi! When I was little (mid 80's) this is all I would listen to. It drove my parents nuts. I had one of those tape players with a microphone attached and I would sing along all the time. Baby Beluga and the "I like to eat, eat..." songs are the best!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Oh, I forgot, you can go to raffisongs.com and read his bio and find album and dvd info. I know he has at least one album that's dedicated to ecology and preserving nature for future generations, it's called "Evergreen, Everblue". A lot of his songs fit in with AP/natural parenting and they are all so sweet!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
We check music out from the library all the time. That's where I get music for DD. We're too poor to buy CD's when they're free! I check something out, if we like it, I rip it, if not, it goes back unripped.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
More Raffi lovers here!!! We took my lil brother to a Raffi concert when he was little, it's up there on my list of favorite concerts--up with the Stones and the Eagles

We have "Raffi, Live on Broadway" in VHS and yeah, if Molly is in a major bad mood--Raffi fixes it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.