Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have filled out the forms for an evaluation through the school district, but they are telling us our pediatrician must test for dyslexia. Pediatrician says the school has to do it.<br><br><br>
Now what?<br><br>
I don't even know who to call to find out the truth, or what law to quote when I have that info.<br><br>
8(

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whichever it is, I'm talking to the doc tomorrow and I'll get something in writing if they say it's the school.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
it depends what you asked the school for. the school probably cannot test for dyslexia; they <span style="text-decoration:underline;">can</span> test for specific learning disabilities in reading. if you specifically asked for testing for dyslexia, that would be why they suggested your ped. if you asked for an evaluation in general or an eval for learnign difficulties, they may be giving you the runaround.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked for both, and we're supposed to have a meeting, so I will see what they have to say, but I'm still going to ask our doc to give me something in writing.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saw one doc today and he referred us to our pediatrician, said he has dealt with this before. I will be calling him tomorrow to get the straight scoop.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I am pretty sure it is the school that has to do it or at least pay for it. You need to put in a request, in writing, to have your child tested for learning disabilities and they have so many days to follow up.<br><br>
There should be a link on your state ed webpage or the school district's website. Or call your local special ed people and start hounding them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts