Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who killed the electric car... Has anyone seen this?

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ric+car&emb=0#

I say we all request them... and get more and more and more people to request them... I will no longer purchase a Chevy!!!! I used to purchase nothing else... why, because I wanted to keep it in the USA... now I am embarrassed of this Company!

I have looked into Plug in America... and honestly, its pretty cool...

T

· Registered
20,366 Posts
:

· Registered
1,933 Posts
as much as the EV1 situation makes me angry, as much as I would love a commercially viable electric, there are reasons gleamed over in that video why GM really had no choice about the EV1.

If GM had done anything other than crush the EV1s, it would not have been able to write off the entire project as R&D Loss. If anything our tax, and patent system really killed it.

The EV1 was a phenomenal loss for GM, one which they were required to take due to California state legislation. That is fine, cost of doing business is dealing with changing regulations... Consumers (i.e. large groups of them) have not clamored for electric cars untill quite recently.

GM has largely self-stifled their ability to innovate, but the us government has done just as much. Capitol (such as machinery to build cars) depreciates (tax benefits) differently in Japan and America, this is one big reason why GM built the same motor for 50 years, whereas Japanese automakers have worked hard to redesign/perfect theirs every 2-5 years. This one factor (not redesigning every few years) is key in figuring out why japanese automakers make cleaner, more fuel efficient, more reliable designs... their government uses TAXATION to force innovation, instead of the other way around.

In other words it was better for GM to write off 500m they spent on the researching the EV1, than it would have been to pay taxes on 500m they spent developing a new model of car.

I am really hoping the volt takes off, since a parallel (synergy drive) hybrid like a prius is not even particularly closer to weaning us off gas, but a series hybrid (100% electric drive with gas generator on board for range extender) is actually a step in the right direction.

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly felt like they bought out the creators to shelf it... I didn't see they were coming out with a volt... so did they let every one who was working on the EV1 go and take the knowledge that they put in to benefit them in the end? Sorry, but it just doesn't look as though GM tried very hard... I know there are always ways around the money issue... including finding investors etc. Not to mention the fact that there was plenty of opportunities for marketing them on a larger scale, and GM just didn't want it...

I will probably watch the Plug in America site, and if they have anything come out... I will scratch Chevy and go with them... I would love to see a knew car dealer and manufacturer come into play. I actually trust the foreign cars more anyway. So answer, prob not.

As far as as GM goes... well sometimes paying a little more in taxes to pay for your honor means more. Not to mention selling them would have brought in enough money to cover the taxes... Seems people were will to pay quite a price...

Sorry but they lost my business. Yes it is a step in the right direction... but I will go through another company, and so will the rest of my family!

· Registered
1,933 Posts
the thing about tesla and Volt is they use lithium ion batteries, which were not mass producable or cost efficient untill like next year. The EV1 and others just can't come close to being universally functional - because of their battery packs. Sure if GM put all their eggs in the electric basket they could purchase 5 million 200-400 mile packs from china, and get the cost down by buying bulk, but the truth is that with current prices, the Tesla is CHEAP. To buy a comperable battery pack on the open market as an individual it would cost approx $60,000 add the lotus frame and the advanced A/C propulsion motor, and to build it yourself you are talking 200k easy.

They have sold 10 tesla roadsters, but they did it right. They made a high powered luxury sports car in order to pave the way for their next amazing feat... a 50,000 sports sedan with seating for 4-5 people... not much more than a comperable Lexus, but 100% electric... from there it is only a matter of time before the "family sedan" is in the 35k range "affordable" when you consider no gasoline, longer service life, etc.

Tesla orders their chassis and body from Lotus - a high end sports car company... imagine if they ordered motor-less ford taurus or chevy impalas and gave them the same treatment... It takes a lot of capitol and it takes a lot of batteries, but someone will answer the call... Tesla is breaking the electric = slow and boring stereo type, now all we have to do is break the "OMG your battery will die and you will be eaten by buzzards" but that is a big hurdle. The Volt is the first reasonable production car promised to fix this problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.