Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I'm wondering how many of you have already told friends and family about your pregnancy. I am still waiting, although my brother and sil kind of accidentally found out about it when they came over for Thanksgiving, but they know they to keep it mum for now. One other friend knows, b/c I was acting really weird the day we got together (trying to get hcg and progesterone labs orders from my doc that day), but she knows I'm not ready to tell anyone else yet. I was originally going to announce it at Christmas, but my first ob appt isn't until the 2nd wk of January, I'll be at the very end of the first trimester by then. So, now I am not sure when I am going to say anything. I have a healthy dose of m/s all day long, so I know that is a good sign, but I'm always nervous about telling ppl too soon, b/c I worry that if I do have a m/c, that it will just make it so much harder when ppl don't know what happened and ask how the pregnancy is going.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Pretty much everyone except my inlaws know. We are planning on telling them at the family christmas party on the 20th. I thought about waiting until then to tell everyone, but if something were to happen I would want the support since I have the two girls to take care of anyway. I had one m/c before dd1 and the only people that knew where our immediate families, and later that summer we got some remarks from dhs family about when we were going to have kids and it made me feel akward.

·
Registered
986 Posts
We have told pretty much everyone except our parents and families. Our best friends know, and my boss knows, and a few co-workers. I had to tell my boss earlier than I wanted to because of a paint fume situation in our office. I had to leave two days because of it. I told my co-workers for different reasons, but mostly because me puking or something else might affect their responsibilities at times. Our friends we told because we were excited.

We are telling our parents at Xmas. I think my parents will be happy, but my DHs...I'm not sure. Before we got married his dad told us to get a dog before we had kids and to wait a year before trying. Guess what....didn't happen.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We've told pretty much everyone. We told our families the week after getting our BFP. I see my Mom a couple of times a week so it would have been really strange not to tell her!

·
Registered
661 Posts
We told everyone except for my boss. I think I'm going to wait until after my first appointment to tell him. And I'm really not sure how to tell him either.

·
Registered
98 Posts
DH knows. I kind of hinted it to my little sister (I'm hoping she can come and help.) Other then that nobody knows. We haven't even told the kids yet. I think I'll tell my side of the family when I'm 12 weeks. DH's side will have to wait until we visit them (I'll be 17/18 weeks then). I'll just show up with a little bump and they can guess if I just got fat or weather I'm pregnant.

·
Registered
715 Posts
No one knows other than DH and it is becoming really hard. We will be telling our fa,ily at Christmas, friends will be around then also.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
We told everyone by the time I was 6 weeks. There was, of course, the hesitation about making it public if I happened to later miscarry. But, I figured that if I did miscarry, I'd rather have the support of family and friends than have them stay in the dark about it.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
we told families at Thanksgiving, I told one out of town friend who is also pregnant, and a couple of friends at school. I also had to tell my choir director, so we could discuss the european tour that I'm supposed to be going on this summer. Everyone I've told at school knows to keep it quiet, our families live out of state, so I'm not too concerned about it leaking from them. I'm just really not ready for it to become general knowledge at school yet, I don't want the attention from all the girls who wish they were married and having babies and want to know every detail, and I don't want people in general to start any nonsense about whether I should be carrying things/dancing/moving pianos or whatever. My body probably won't be able to hide any growth for very long, they'll figure it out eventually. Same thing goes with work, unless I have to start calling in sick.

·
Registered
170 Posts
With our first two pregnancies we never made an announcement until I made it through the first trimester. Both of our families live in the same area out of state and my husband's parents came to Thanksgiving so we told them in person and asked them to keep it quiet until I could tell my parents at Christmas time when they come to visit. Within two days of DH's parents getting back home we got email from his sister about our pregnancy. DH wasn't happy that his mom went against her word and he asked her about it. She admitted that she told all of their family because she didn't think any news of a baby should be kept quiet and that she was not sorry for saying anything. I was upset because both of our parents are soon getting together and I was worried they would spill the beans and my mom would be upset that she is "the last to know". Now my in-laws and his sisters are implying that my DH is being a jerk and cannot understand why we would not want to announce our pregnancy to everyone we know the second we found out about the pregnancy. So, I am trying to find a way to smooth things over and make peace but am a bit disappointed that my MIL so nonchalantly brushed aside my feelings and now we have been made to look like jerks and uncaring about the precious gift of another baby to our family. Sorry this is long winded but I guess I still need to do some venting, the night after this whole thing got rolling I started dreaming about miscarriages and I just need to get over the whole thing. Who would think there would be so much fuss about us announcing our third baby?

·
Registered
82 Posts
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law, and my other sister-in-law actually, know. They also happen to be my closest people, so I told them right away. I needed their support since my pregnancy was not something I was really prepared for and because I was spotting, etc.

The only other people who know are my chiropractor and massage therapist, because they sort of need to know, and a couple of people I work with at the yoga studio. Then you know, my doctor and stuff.

We're trying to wait until Christmas to tell our families, because my spouse has a romantic notion about doing it then.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It started out w/ just 2 friends who knew how hard we were trying, knew the my dpo count, etc.

Then it was my mom and dad. Then it was my family at Thanksgiving. Then it was my in-laws (who asked my dh if this was planned
Um, we're married, over 30, and already have a 1yo, why would THAT be your first question?).

I'm just pretty much excited and can't keep my mouth shut about it. I fgure that a) telling people doesn't cause a m/c. 2) if I do m/c, I'm going to need a lot of support, and I think people are more supportive if they know what's going on.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I've had 3 m/cs. So basically we've only told the people who we'd need as support. . my mom, my close friends, DH told his one close friend. Today we heard the heartbeat, so we will probably extend the news soon. I'd kind of like to wait until Christmas to tell DH's family but will leave that in his hands.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My mom and sister and some of my close friends but that is it. DH wanted to tell at Thanksgiving but I wasn't ready. I am moody and sick and I didn't want a lot of fuss and everyone always fusses about the homebirthing and "well I hope it's a girl this time!" and stupid stuff so I want to put it off as much as I can. I think we'll tell everyone at Christmas. And I think I'll tell everyone it's a boy, even though I don't really know.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
We were originally waiting till Christmas too. (I'll start 2nd tri Dec 31)
But...
We live with my parents and the ms was OBVIOUS from early on, and since we told my folks we told his parents too.
Then we told all of our sibs a few days before Thanksgiving (again the ms thing, did not want to have to answer a lot of questions.) They all have been told about my tendancy to miscarry, and I appreciate having lots of people praying for us.
There are a few close friends who know too. I don't feel too much risk telling people we see/interact with a lot, but we are definately not telling the more "casual" friends.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.