Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please share your experience with me. How do you take it? I've used it to thwart a couple of colds and a stomach virus. I just wish I had used it sooner on the stomach virus. I suffered a week before thinking to try it and then it worked right away. I started coming down with a cold yesterday and felt pretty bad so I took some OO before bed. This morning I had body aches which would have normally kept me in bed and calling in sick to work but actually I feel fine. I think the OO has substantially reduced my symptoms - that and my raw milk. I wish I could give some to my son but it burns my mouth so there's no way I could do that. I have used it on his skin though since that doesn't burn. I just wonder though if it would absorb enough through the skin to help something like a cold. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Kim

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You could try mixing it with aloe vera gel and then rubbing it on the skin. That's how I make my insect repellant- it's less concentrated that way.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
We recently got some free with an order. We've been adding it to food. Italian food or garlic bread. Salad dressing. My husband loves the smell, but I can only stand it in small quantities.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
:

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
When it's cold/flu season or we're about to travel, my kids have a couple drops in a spoon of applesauce every am.
If someone is actually ill, we'll do 2x/day.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
We recently got some free with an order. We've been adding it to food. Italian food or garlic bread. Salad dressing. My husband loves the smell, but I can only stand it in small quantities.
fyi, there are sooo many diff qualities of Oregano Oil. We use Oreganol p73. It's super expensive...maybe $60 for an ounce or so?

·
Registered
262 Posts
On a young child it's most effective on the soles of the feet or the spine.

And, I found out(the hard way) that it does burn on the skin, so best to dilute it with olive oil 3parts olive oil to 1 part OO.

I think it's the cat's ass, though, in terms of it's medicinal qualities. I've heard it's great on cold sores, too, though I don't get them so not from personal experience.

Orally it's best taken 2-3 drops under the tongue two to three times a day, as that's where you have veins very close to the surface. Let it sit there until it starts burning, and then down a glass of water with it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I just recently been using mine. I add a drop or two to a spaghetti sauce type meal in place of using the dried herb version. And a few weeks back I had a sinus infection where my face was incredibly sore and although I'm anti-antibiotics I was thinking I was needing to go down that track. I ended up putting few drops in a cup of boiling water along with a big splash of cider vinegar and inhaled it and did that twice on one day (wish I had thought of it sooner rather than 3-4 days into it!) and by the next morning it was almost gone.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
you can put a drop or 2 (only!) in a jug of water
you can spritz it in the air, then breath it in
add a drop to soups, food
a drop under your toungue

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Just FYI...it's not recommended while pregnant or nursing.
I had a nasty virus that threatened to turn into a sinus infection about 3 weeks ago. I was miserable. I used oregano oil (p73) topically on my sinuses and glands twice daily for 2 days, and felt much better the morning of the third day. I am pregnant, so I would not take it internally. I don't even like using it topically when pregnant, as it is so potent. I think it is best used with caution during pregnancy (if used at all), during breastfeeding, and on young children. It is not something I use as a first (or second, for that matter) choice; I use it if other treatments aren't making headway quickly enough.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
My understanding is that the issue with OO and nursing moms is the potential to reduce milk supply in large doses and not in actual safety. I use it in small doses infrequently, such as when coming down with an illness, and I haven't had any ill effects.

·
Registered
993 Posts
: I'm scared of essential oils.
: Check out this website:

http://eethomp.com/AT/dangerous_oils.html

About oregano she says:

"Orally toxic oils - You might not want these oils around either, although they smell pretty good and some are approved as flavorings in small amounts. Drinking a bottle of any of these oils could kill a small child. Note that many other essential oils are toxic if consumed in large quantities, so please keep all bottles in a safe place away from children and pets."

: To get all the benefits of oregano, couldn't I just steep some of the dried oregano leaf in hot water?

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
You aren't meant to consume a bottle of essential oils any more than you are meant to eat a tube of toothpaste. I still have toothpaste in my house though

Our oils are kept out of reach of kiddos, as is anything that I don't want them to have free access to.

You need wild oregano to get the benefits, and a heck of alot of it for acute situations. There are always alternatives though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts