Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty self-explanitory question

For DS#1 the sOB that caught cut the cord. My OB wasn't avaialable so I got her back-up jerk, I mean doc. My OB was going to have us help catch and let my DH cut the cord. sOB did none of those things

For DS#2, my oldest was 4.5 at the time. He was our cord cutter. He also announced the sex. He fully participated in his little brothers arrival earthside. DH caught and big brother did the other stuff, I thought it was a pretty diggable arrangement

Pregnant w/#3, not sure who's cutting cord this time, probably DS#1 again, Daddy's catching again.
Namaste, Tara

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I cut the cord! I also caught my son! It hadn't occurred to me to ask for that, but as he was coming out my midwife put my hands on him and told me to take him. I pulled him up to my chest myself. It is so precious to me that I was the first to hold him. Once the cord was clamped she offered to DH that he could cut it, but he declined, so I did it.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
With DS1, my mom cut the cord
I was a sorta a single mom, and she was there for the birth
With DS2 and DD, my DH cut the cord

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I had a c/s w/ #1 so the DR did it. I had a VBAC w/ #2 but it was urgent to get him out and he was super blue so the DR did it again so they could hand him off to the NICU people (he didn't need to go there, but they were there just in case). They offered to let DH cut it lower, but he said that's o.k.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wednesday
I also caught my son! It hadn't occurred to me to ask for that, but as he was coming out my midwife put my hands on him and told me to take him. I pulled him up to my chest myself. It is so precious to me that I was the first to hold him. .
: Beautiful.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Dh cut it both times (and caught them too). I might have my older dd cut if there's a next time. I think she'll be old enough by then. But I'm good with dh doing it too. I like to keep him involved.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I cut with DD#1 and fully expect that I'll do it again (DH turns green during stuff like that!) I thought it was one of the coolest things. I didn't "catch" DD per se, but did feel her head as she crowned and then had my hands next to her head when pushing...so I felt her come out both vaginally and with my hands.

As I'm due in 10 weeks I'm switching from reading the "I'm Pregnant" forum to "Birth & Beyond" so you'll see me a little more over here

Michelle

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Mine have both been c-sections, so I assume the OB cut the cord. It may have been my family doctor. I really don't know.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Dh all three

·
Registered
967 Posts
I cut the cord when DS was born. For some reason it was VERY important to me that I be the one to do it. Luckily, my DH is also pretty squeamish so he was happy that I wanted to do it so badly. I also plan on cutting the cord myself with this one.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.