Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously I've got DH (who just started reading The Birth Partner) but I'm trying to think of who else I want there to be able to give him a break and I can't think of anyone. There isn't anyone I feel that intimate with. There's my best friend but when she had her baby, she demanded an epi the minute she got to the hospital so I don't think she'd be able to support me. My mom asked me if she could come but I'm not sure if I want her there. There's also my sister but we don't always get along. So, who will be there with you during labor and birth?

· Registered
2,208 Posts
Well, I will be in a hospital, and I would still want it just DH, DS, and my mom. But MIL thinks that it is going to be just like last time. I just don't want her there but I don't know how to tell Mark that. I am just hoping that I don't know, I go into labor in the evening, go to the hospital at like 2 am and have the babe soon after that so it is just fast and only those I WANT to be there.

· Registered
4,401 Posts
DH and my best friend who is also a doula. I hope you can find someone that can support your efforts. Who would you be the most comfortable with? If that's your best friend, maybe talk to her and see if she'd be willing to offer you the kind of support you need instead of assuming you want your birth to be like hers. You don't necessarily need people that think like you (though it helps) but you do need people who can support your decisions and help you stick to them. GL!

· Registered
1,077 Posts
For me it will be the MWs, my DH and my mom. I would be so uncomfortable around the in laws and told Garrin that... but I don't know if he has told them. I have not invited them, though, and I think they get it. I just wouldn't feel free to scream or be naked or anything around them - they are quite conservative. I'm also maybe not forgetting the resistance they had to the idea of HB at first, either...

· Registered
247 Posts
For my first, it was just DH and my mom.
For my 2nd, the MW was there, my younger sis, and DH.
For this one, we hope the MW will make it again, and my older sis.
I don't like to have many people, but one extra person works well.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
me, my dh, my doula, my midwife and the second midwife that is mandatory at a home birth here.

My mom might also be here if they boys are here....but if the boys aren't here she will be home with the boys.

· Registered
635 Posts
This is my 1st go round so I'm NOT setting anything in stone, but the loose plan is:

Me, my Midwife, an assistant if she brings one, DP, and my dog.

If at some point during labor I want my mom there or one of my sisters or some combination of those three, we'll call and ask them to come. I can't imagion i'll get the urge for anyone other then those three to be there. Its a 15 min drive from our house to theirs, and they know that it will all depend on how I feel at the time, so I think its a good plan. Who knows, maybe the dog will get put outside, maybe dp will freak out and not be able to stay, maybe the midwife won't make it! I've never done this before, so i'm just gonna go with it.

· Registered
1,395 Posts
DH will be there, of course. We hired a doula to be there, as well. There's a chance my SIL will be around, too, because she works as a Lactation Consultant at the hospital where I plan to give birth.

Maybe you should consider a doula? If you want to avoid the expense, you may be able to get a doula in training at reduced rate or something?

Also, are you sure your best friend wouldn't be a good choice? Just because she had an epi doesn't necessarily mean she wouldn't be a good person to have there for support (and to give your DH a break now and then).

· Registered
690 Posts
For my first birth, it was DH and my sister. My sister's main job was to take pics.

This time, I think I might just want DH and myself. But if I feel I'm needing some strong female support, I have a friend who is 100% supportive of intervention-free birthing (and who has done it herself) who will be on-call if I need her.

But if it's just DH and me, I'm wondering who will take pictures...

· Registered
1,039 Posts
Hospital birth, so the plan is: DH, the midwife (probably won't be there the whole time) and whatever nurse that is on duty.

I keep asking DH about a doula, but he thinks that would be pointless. We've been going to Bradley classes and he says the classes just confirm that he will be my strongest advocate. And he thinks a doula would just get in his way!

· Registered
2,548 Posts
Well, I've never given birth w/o a lot of ppl there and this time is going to be no exception. I'm all about a party!
I'll have...dh, the kids (whoever is awake), my mw, my bff (also a doula), a friend from RN school, my mom, mil, and a birth photographer. Not sure if my massage therapist friend is going to make it or not. Anyway, we'll have a full house.

I would highly recommend hiring a doula if you're worried about it being just you and your dh. A doula isn't going to replace or take over your dh's job...she'll just lend a hand and offer support.

· Registered
851 Posts
We are doing a homebirth..

DH, Doula, and Midwife are to be the only adults.. and one (my youngest) maybe two of my kids will be there too.

ETA: My first two were hospital births and my DH LOVED the doulas.. and doesn't want to go through birth without one lol..... they totally supported him and me, and helped DH to know that I was okay and progressing well etc.

· Registered
478 Posts
Hospital Birth so DH and Midwife. We both think that a doula will aggravate the nurses on staff and insurance won't cover one unless we can prove it is "medically necessary". We're not going to a "natural" friendly hospital since there are none in our area and dh is too freaked over a home birth... so it looks like it's just going to be the two of us...

· Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Dh. Midwife. Her assistant if she brings one. After that I don't know....no clue if some friends will be there to help keep ds entertained or if he's going to want to watch or not.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.