Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I landed in the ER again yesterday for heart probs and they ran a few more tests then other hospital did and even though they missed it I recognized the lab values (they were only concerned with Cardiac Enzymes and ignored the rest) and once again I'm suffering from malnutrition which is really no surprise since I only hit about 1000cal a day on a really good day (avg is probably about 600-800 cal). No I'm not anorexic, I just have no appetite, I had to be on appetite stimulants as a child so I would eat because I rarely feel hunger. For example, I ate at noon yesterday but didn't feel hungry at all again till around 8pm so I ate, hunger didn't hit again till about 11am this morning and even 2 of those 3 times it was only a dull reminder in the back of my brain to eat even though the shakes from low blood sugar had kicked in. So who do I see to get labs done to find out what I'm deficient in? I already know I'm low in the following iron, blood calcium, BUN/Creatine, potassium (was told to double my supplement), Chloride and I cant remember the rest.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Have you been to a ND? I'm not sure of the test, but mine tested my B12, and other B vits, folic acid, iron, Ca etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I saw a Osteopathic Doctor (like an ND, with an MD) and I had all my nutritional levels tested. They were all perfectly normal (Hooray! See, Mom, vegans can be healthy!)

They took a couple of vials of blood and the results were back fairly quickly. Are you taking supplements? That should be easy even if you have no appetite.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
: Have you tried smoking pot to help with your appetite? You don't have to answer that. I've known folks it has helped who have issues with their appetite that dont seem to be related to other ailments. You can see a general practitioner, MD or nurse practitionaer, and explain your symptoms and ask them to send you for blood tests. Tell them all the values you are interested in and ask them what other values they will be useful to you. HCPs LoooooOOOoove it when you ask their advice. It helps when you kind of go in there to use the system and then make your own decisions. (Make your OWN decisions??
) God forbid anyone not listen to the almighty MD, eh? Anyway, whoever your primary care provider is, like, the person who does your physical, is a good person to see. HTH and hope you have good luck in health!

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually did consider it but I tried it 2x in my teen years and the first time nothing happened (litterally no effect but everyone else got high) and the 2nd time it ended up being laced with something that made us all paranoid and freaked out for a couple hours which left a very bad impression with me. So unless I knew someone who grew it themselves and trusted them no way would I risk it again. My dad used to grow a ton of it though.. lol! He lives in the middle of no where in Missouri and my step bro planted some that ended up going to seed and they blew every where and when I got there for the first time I pointed it out to my dad and he claimed it was a "sister plant, close but not it" sure dad.... thats why people are out there weeding for us for free... he really thought it wasn't pot :LOL

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
T My favorite story is of my childhood best friend getting high for the first time. She couldn't stop eating or laughing and her older sister was freaking out because if anything happened it would be her ass, yk? So BF is eating a banana slathered in peanut butter and she's laughing so hard it falls out of her mouth. Her sister is trying to calm her down because their mom is on a date with her cop boyfirend and due home any second and she catches the chewed up banana in her hand!
Meanwhile I'm laughing so hard my stomach hurts and the sister is yelling at me because I'm making it worse and I'm seriously about to pee my pants.
: Ah, it tells better in person so you can see me act it out but it makes me laugh just to think of it. Ah, kids.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satori
I landed in the ER again yesterday for heart probs and they ran a few more tests then other hospital did and even though they missed it I recognized the lab values (they were only concerned with Cardiac Enzymes and ignored the rest) and once again I'm suffering from malnutrition which is really no surprise since I only hit about 1000cal a day on a really good day (avg is probably about 600-800 cal). No I'm not anorexic, I just have no appetite, I had to be on appetite stimulants as a child so I would eat because I rarely feel hunger. For example, I ate at noon yesterday but didn't feel hungry at all again till around 8pm so I ate, hunger didn't hit again till about 11am this morning and even 2 of those 3 times it was only a dull reminder in the back of my brain to eat even though the shakes from low blood sugar had kicked in. So who do I see to get labs done to find out what I'm deficient in? I already know I'm low in the following iron, blood calcium, BUN/Creatine, potassium (was told to double my supplement), Chloride and I cant remember the rest.

Ok What ARE you eating? Are you taking any supplements like Flax seed oil?

Try this, don't know why it works but it does. First thing in the morning, EVEN if you AREN'T hungry, eat something. This kicks your body into gear to think about eating more often. Set a clock and eat even if you aren't hungry, just a small snack. I have the SAME problem with hunger and I find this helps me stay a bit more on track.

HTH

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
On the hunger- do you have food allergies? For years I didn't have an appetitie-couldn't tell when I was hungry and went off some things- gluten/soy specifically and gradually developed a normal appetite.

My friend experienced the same thing after being tesed for food sensitivities and going on an elimination diet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts