Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved to Brattleboro in August... I am trying to get my car stuff settled... got my license and my new insurance... Tried to get my car registered and the told me that I need to pay the sales tax on the VALUE of my car!? The one I already own!? The one I already paid sales tax on when I bought it!? Yeah, I paid less than what the car is worth because I bought it from a family member that was doing me a favor, and the DMV said that they will deduct what I already paid from the TOTAL??? How on earth would I owe sales tax in VT on something I didn't buy in VT???

How is this at all reasonable?
:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Oh my gosh, don't get me started. We moved her from NH about a year ago. I was blown away how much tax we had to pay. It was so nice not to pay a sales tax when we bought our cars in NH. But, we still had to pay it here. We only registered one car. My husband refuses to register the other one. He says it would be way cheaper to pay the ticket from an "unregistered" car several times than get it registered.
I agree, how is that reasonable?

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Seriously?? Ok, I know that if you already live in a state and you buy something in another state, legally you're supposed to pay the sales tax in *your* state. So, I live in PA. If I went to New Jersey to buy a car, I'd have to pay sales tax in PA. But I could apply to have it refunded to me from NJ. But that's for a new purchase, not for something I'm moving in to the state with me as an existing possession.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dad "sold" me my car (a 2003 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon) for very very little money. He did it to me as a favor, took my piece of crap ford explorer and traded it in towards his new subaru... The state of PA wrote to me wanting to know why I paid so little for a car that was worth quite a lot more, and wanted me to pay them the sales tax on the value. But when I explained to them that my dad sold it to me cheap as a favor, they were TOTALLY FINE with it.

VT, apparently, is not.

·
Registered
344 Posts
When you went to the DMV, did you have proof of the sales tax that you paid? They tried to pull that crap on me when I first moved here, but thankfully I brought all paperwork in there that I possibly could. I would go back if I were you with proof that you have already paid taxes.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sent the tax people a letter... don't think it will change anything, but I felt like I needed to get it off my chest. Ugh.

Quote:
To whom it may concern;

I recently moved from Coudersport, Pennsylvania to Brattleboro, Vermont. Everything so far has been amazing. I don't mind the higher taxes in general because I really appreciate the good roads and the fantastic public school system. However, I was SHOCKED when I tried to get my car registered, when I was told that I will have to pay a considerable amount of money in sales tax on a car that I already own before I can get my registration. I am a low income single mother of three small children, due to circumstances that I have no control over. A little over a year ago, my father sold me his 2003 Subaru for very little money as a favor, to help me get back on my feet. The state of Pennsylvania charged me 6% of the amount I paid for the car in taxes, and was satisfied with the explanation I gave them as to why the car was sold to me for so little. My registration in Pennsylvania is about to expire. I cannot afford the taxes that are required for registering my car here. I cannot work to earn money, or get my kids to school and daycare without a car. However, I also can't afford to have my car towed because it is not registered. I do not know what you expect me to do. I think this policy is downright criminal, and I hope that you will seriously consider making some changes.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,
Lisa Lubner

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great letter, very well put! I have an old subaru from my folks too we were able to declare it a gift so we didn't have to pay the tax, it's ridiculous that the Vt. DMV charges so much on these cars it's expensive enough buying and maintaining a car. The only other suggestion I can think of is to bring your car to a mechanic friend and have him fill out the DMV form that says your car may not be up to blue book value due to body rust or things like that I was able to do that once for an old toyota 4runner I was trying to register. Good Luck

·
Registered
150 Posts
I second what motomama says. I had a bad time trying not to pay the tax on an old beater I bought. The DMV told me I could have it appraised and the tax would reflect the appraisal. However the tax was less than the quoted appraisal, so boo in my case. The DMV in VT is pretty bad. Although there are "gift" exceptions. My dad "sold" me a car for a dollar so I had to pay the tax, but if he had given it to me as a gift I would not have had to. But that was like 7 years ago. But don't be afraid to check. As I found out they don't always tell the truth, just what is convienient.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The same thing happened to us last week, they wanted almost 5% of the value of the car. We had my husbands father fill out a gift form to prove that the car was a gift to us, had to fax it to Colorado and everything.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I know if the car is older than a certain age, then you dont have to pay the tax. when we first moved here we had a scare like this also, and jumped through hoops to prove we had already paid it. We did not have to pay it, though I forget why, but we did prove we paid it in NY. When we went to register an older car a year later, it was a 1988, and we didnt have to pay any sales tax on that. It is crazy though in VT with DMV. alot different than i was used to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.