1,783 Posts
Errrrrr....that burns me up!!!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Press- https://www.facebook.com/groups/207846819267319?refid=7
Statewide events forming - see the FB group for your area

Please remember that this has much potential for POSITIVE Breastfeeding business practices and WFM is already moving towards making this a celebration

Share your good nursing experiences/love for WFM, keep the pressure on, ask for WFM to be an example...

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
FYI- I got a "yeah breastfeeding" email back from them that was fuzzy on details, i.e. if they are making it policy to not harass nursing moms in the future. Seriously, if they want to bother someone both the stinky and annoying people that clog my local store.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forwarding statement from WFM rep that was posted on the Facebook page:

"Hi, it's Libba Letton from Whole Foods Market's corporate HQ in Austin, Texas. I've posted here before, and have spoken and emailed with Angelina Love about her experience. I've apologized on behalf of the company, and I understand the store has also reached out to apologize. In the meantime, I'd like folks here to know (and I speak for the whole company when I say) that we absolutely support breastfeeding and want mothers to feel comfortable nursing their children in our stores. Hundreds of women nurse their children in our stores every day - there's been no written policy because it's always been assumed. In response to this event in our Salt Lake City store, however, a written policy is being introduced into our corporate approval process at our global headquarters in Austin, Texas, as well as educational materials on the subject for our Team Members everywhere. Meanwhile, our stores nationwide look forward to visits from moms and their babies & children on August 20!"

(bolded emphasis mine)

Jessica

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks for posting that reply, Jessica. Sounds like they're doing great! Sad that there has to be a written policy, but good that employees will hopefully get educated about it.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Nurse In is scheduled for this Saturday the 20th- please check the links for local times and details...

Convincing Whole Foods Market to support the healthy and natural act of breastfeeding within their establishments by implementing a policy to provide a nondiscriminatory environment for families who choose to breastfeed.

Updates: http://wholebabyfoods.blogspot.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WFNationalNurseIn

Consider contacting Whole Foods even if you have had positive experiences to encourage them to have a formal policy and training to support breastfeeding in their stores. (More info provided through the websites above)

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
I was shocked when I read this. I work at WF, and what happened goes against all of WF's core values. We all recieved information about the nurse in, and WF's support of breastfeeding. There should be drinks and teas and samples set up for anyone who comes. I wish it hadn't happened, but it has opened up a lot of conversations within WF, which has been a great opportunity to educate people. Although I'm way past the nursing stage, I'm planning on using this as an opportunity to bring up having a safe place for moms who work their to pump!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks- and yes, shocked- but I'm still shocked that WFM didn't just try to do a little cartwheel of action to right this- especially after the first response from the manager.... and then a delayed response (letter got lost, etc.). I'm glad to hear that employees should know about this. Did this info go out after Aug 5th or before

Apparently, there was a 2nd incident where a woman in California was asked to breastfeed in a bathroom- and this was in August. I believe before the 5th.

So the unofficial policy of support is really not working very well.

There is, as far as I know, no movement forward on establishing a written policy-- I'm not the person this happened to, so I don't know what she would be willing to compromise on to completely have the nurse in be a celebration (and not move towards protest/boycott, etc) . Or if this is as WFM says, going to happen, the nurse in organizers are still right to question- When and Who is going to do this and How do we know the policy will be appropriate? I know she wanted the policy written/approved before the nurse in, but I know I would be pleased to see a commitment of action, including a date for it to be completed and the person who will be doing it or the contact. That doesn't seem to be too much to ask for? I'm excited the Utah event will be more prominent and a charity day... The response is.... mixed.

Jessica

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post

Forwarding statement from WFM rep that was posted on the Facebook page:

"Hi, it's Libba Letton from Whole Foods Market's corporate HQ in Austin, Texas. I've posted here before, and have spoken and emailed with Angelina Love about her experience. I've apologized on behalf of the company, and I understand the store has also reached out to apologize. In the meantime, I'd like folks here to know (and I speak for the whole company when I say) that we absolutely support breastfeeding and want mothers to feel comfortable nursing their children in our stores. Hundreds of women nurse their children in our stores every day - there's been no written policy because it's always been assumed. In response to this event in our Salt Lake City store, however, a written policy is being introduced into our corporate approval process at our global headquarters in Austin, Texas, as well as educational materials on the subject for our Team Members everywhere. Meanwhile, our stores nationwide look forward to visits from moms and their babies & children on August 20!"

(bolded emphasis mine)

Jessica
It looks like there is going to be a written policy coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post

Thanks- and yes, shocked- but I'm still shocked that WFM didn't just try to do a little cartwheel of action to right this- especially after the first response from the manager.... and then a delayed response (letter got lost, etc.). I'm glad to hear that employees should know about this. Did this info go out after Aug 5th or before

Apparently, there was a 2nd incident where a woman in California was asked to breastfeed in a bathroom- and this was in August. I believe before the 5th.

So the unofficial policy of support is really not working very well.

There is, as far as I know, no movement forward on establishing a written policy-- I'm not the person this happened to, so I don't know what she would be willing to compromise on to completely have the nurse in be a celebration (and not move towards protest/boycott, etc) . Or if this is as WFM says, going to happen, the nurse in organizers are still right to question- When and Who is going to do this and How do we know the policy will be appropriate? I know she wanted the policy written/approved before the nurse in, but I know I would be pleased to see a commitment of action, including a date for it to be completed and the person who will be doing it or the contact. That doesn't seem to be too much to ask for? I'm excited the Utah event will be more prominent and a charity day... The response is.... mixed.

Jessica
I'm not sure of the dates of when we were notified, to be honest. I haven't been at work for the last couple of weeks, so just saw this yesterday. As for the rest, I'm not privy to that information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.