Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad gave us a wonderful Christmas gift of a whole prime. I am not sure how to go about using it best. Can I slice some thick steaks and do some roasts? It is pretty big, I think he said about 17 pounds.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Are we talking beef loin? There are meat cutting guides online (hope you have a big, sharp knife), or you might be able to take it to a butcher shop and have them cut it for you for a small fee.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He said it was prime rib. I think I am just going to go ahead and cut into steaks and a couple roasts. I thought maybe someone one here might handled one of these before.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Prime rib, roast it whole and then slice it into steaks. If it's too big, cut it in chunks (1/3, 1/4, etc.), freeze some. But roast it before cutting it into steaks, that's the loveliness that is prime rib.

I pick ours up on Sat.

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
Yes I'd cut into steaks and save some roasts. We usually only cook 2 rib prime ribs because that is plenty for the 3 of us. So with a whole if you want steaks and prime rib you can probably get 3-4 thick rib eye steaks and still have a very nice roast or two depending on your family size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.