Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I try to make tortillas from whole wheat, they come out fragile. They crack when I wrap them. Does anyone have any suggestions for making them more flexible?

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Are you using whole wheat PASTRY flour? I find it works MUCH better in any kind of baking. You can find it in bulk in any health food store.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by rainsmom</i><br><b>Are you using whole wheat PASTRY flour?</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
Yes, I am. Sorry, I should have said that. Do you think increasing the amount of oil might help?<br><br>
(or maybe I'm not letting the dough sit long enough.... or maybe I'm letting it sit too long...)

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Does the recipe call for ww flour?<br><br>
My sources say use 7/8c whole grain flour for every 1c white flour in recipe. WW flour will absorb more liquid.....so I would think adding more liquid would definetly help. Ive never made them but the recipe in MOOSEWOOD calls for oil just for pan frying, not for the actual dough. It does call for water, so I would add more of that at the end when youre kneading. That way you can tell how much you need. It should be a sticky consistancy, if its anything like making pizza dough.<br><br>
hth!

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I will try that!<br><br>
Yes, the recipe calls for whole wheat flour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts