·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out of ideas of what to feed dd.

Here's what she eats:

Beef, chicken, turkey, pork, very rarely fish
Quinoa
Tempeh (I know, that's barely borderline whole food!)
Broccoli, broccolini, carrots, sweet potatoes, edamame, peas, asparagus
Apples, bananas, melons, pears, berries - she doesn't like citrus yet
Yogurt
Tahini
Cheese, sparingly
Brown rice pasta

She's 13 1/2 months old. She's allergic to cow's milk and I think she's sensitive to wheat, so I stay away from that. What else can I feed her??

Thanks,
Jude

·
Registered
586 Posts
Well, my 2 1/2 year old ds fed my 5 1/2 month old dd a little bit of a Pop Tart yesterday- but since Pop Tarts aren't whole foods, I guess that doesn't help, eh?

We never even have Pop Tarts around, but since they were on sale DH and I splurged and got a box, ds came out of bed and caught us eating them
so we gave him a little, and the next day he must have found the crusts in the wastebasket cuz his baby sis spat up a small chunk of it last night. Oh, the shame...
:

At any rate, it actually sounds like your dd is eating a pretty good diet- I wish my ds ate more than pasta and tomatoes.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Have you tried other grains? DS is intollerant to wheat, but he can handle any other grain. I use whole grain barley flour as a substitute for all purpose wheat flour. It gives great results. It bakes up like white flour, but it's a more whole grain. I grind up my own too and use hulless barley grains. Hulled barley is for feed and humans can not digest the outer hull, so that's why I buy hulless. It still contains the bran and germ and is very healthy. DS loves muffings, pancakes, waffles made with barley flour. I like to make vegetable muffins like pumpkin, zuchinni and carrot. I usually cut the sugar by half when I bake.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I agree that her range of food is very good for a toddler. Some other grains to try are brown rice, millet and buckwheat - also cornmeal. My girls love bean soups like split pea, minestrone, black bean and lentil. I have a yummy tortilla soup recipe too if you want to try. How about eggs?

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
:

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I second the beans idea! I bet you never knew that whole beans make a great finger food!!

Fresh ripe fruits and cooled steamed veggies are good too.

Don't worry about her not having an intersting, varied menu. She's a toddler!! The key is to get her to eat a variety of healthy foods, even if they're always served the exact same way, 6 times a day, 7 days a week.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My daughter is limited in that she can't seem to have anything with any sort of acidity to it - tomatoes, strawberries, citrus, etc... Also, she was sensitive to cow's milk and milk yoghurt until she was about 18 months old, though she could handle cheese.
One snack she really really likes is "eggert milk" aka yoghurt-fruit smoothie. I use frozen mango chunks and add a cup of hot soymilk and some greek yoghurt and some agave nectar to sweeten it a little bit and blend it up really well. She likes the flavor of cardomon so I'll add a dash of that, too.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
For a fingerfood snack, I seem to have hit paydirt with frozen, organic fruits and veg. Cherries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, peas, corn... buy fresh or already bagged and frozen at the market. I make them small by cutting them with kitchen scissors (you can cut them even when they are frozen, so it's really easy! Pull from bag, snip, snip, plop on plate, YUM!). He likes them frozen (which means they are kind of cold and mushy by the time they get to his mouth) and in addition, having them frozen means that I don't have a ton of waste and DS can have lots of variety with little work in preparation and they are super quick, easy, great for summer days, and very healthy. The only down-side is they are MESSY! We call them the "outside naked desserts" :LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts